Can I Use a Router Speed Control on this Moter (Please see photos)?

The best bet is to find a motor closer to the RPM you want. All motors run much more efficiently at their designed RPM, plus the screaming of a high reving universal motor gets old pretty quick.

You might consider using a small stepper motor with a driver and PWM controller. You woprovide uld have to figure out the waterproofing but they are cheap and will provide very granular speed control.

One other thought is if you need a waterproof package you might pick up a blender with variable speed already built it. Can probably be had for just a few bucks at goodwill.

Cheers,

John

This might be a little out in left field, but instead of a system of pullies what about a friction drive using a regular fractional horsepower motor?

I’m looking at the desired product — horizontally mounted lapping disc, basically — and it reminds me of an electric potters wheel. Very smooth and variable speed control for those is obtained by setting a motor with a driving wheel 90 degrees to the driven wheel, much like a set of bevel gears. By moving the friction wheel further from or closer to center it provides a faster or slower rate of rotation. Think “surface feet per minute” here, same theory. The nice thing about the fractional horsepower motor is it would provide lots of jam but very little noise, and pretty easy to come by. And, if you wanted to wet sand, very easy to shroud the motor component. Here’s a crude sketch if it helps.

1569526389627.png

-frank

Thanks, Gents, will respond more later. Can't thank you enough. Believe it or not, I'm a full-time English prof and I gotta go teach a class.

Back at ya in a bit.

Thank You!

Your best bet may be to go with an induction motor. They can be had with native shaft speeds of 1140-1710-3420 RPM. they are quiet, may not have great starting torque but you don't need that either.
Maybe the motor from an old box fan would be close to perfect I am guessing that HI speed is around 1,000 rpm. you just need to make a mounting and figure a way to keep the water out of the motor. Most box fans already have 3 speeds to play with.

Another option is to find something with a gear motor that already runs at near your desired RPM.

Back