Can i use aluminum for a home built steady rest?

oogenshire

Registered
Registered
would it just be a bad idea to build a steady rest out of aluminum? i have access to aluminum plate to make it out of, steel is a little harder to come by and harder to work... appreciate the input on this.
Mike

I made my steady rest out of aluminum and so far it has performed just fine. But it likely depends on what you want to do, and your lathe. In my case, it's a small (7x12) lathe.

The biggest challenge for me was accurately machining it on my small benchtop mill. Some of the dimensions were a stretch.

I made my steady rest out of aluminum and so far it has performed just fine. But it likely depends on what you want to do, and your lathe. In my case, it's a small (7x12) lathe.

The biggest challenge for me was accurately machining it on my small benchtop mill. Some of the dimensions were a stretch.
have a 12x36 clausing, wanting to work on the end of aluminum tubing thats too large to go through the headstock, heaviest turning would be aluminum tube internal threading and maybe some skim boring of the inside of the tube. never seem to have the spare cash when a factory one pops up on the market lol

have a 12x36 clausing, wanting to work on the end of aluminum tubing thats too large to go through the headstock, heaviest turning would be aluminum tube internal threading and maybe some skim boring of the inside of the tube. never seem to have the spare cash when a factory one pops up on the market lol
If you're working with aluminum I think a steady rest made with aluminum plate would work fine. The turning forces would be parallel to the plate so it would be pretty stiff.

would it just be a bad idea to build a steady rest out of aluminum? i have access to aluminum plate to make it out of, steel is a little harder to come by and harder to work... appreciate the input on this.
Mike
Looks great
Here drawing on a finger.
Screenshot_20240317-215355_OneDrive.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317-215355_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317-215355_OneDrive.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 9
Should be fine for your use. Would go for steel, or modify something off e-bay for a larger machine that routinely does heavier work. Mike

I put bearings on the ends of the fingers and found that it's necessary to keep swarf away -- it causes problems if the swarf gets between the bearing and work. The solid ones don't have that problem.

Back