Can someone decipher lathe build date?

I'll just cross post a couple pics so others who haven't seen the paint thread know what we're talking about:

e2abfad7-5d86-4c53-9b7b-3361d75e6237-jpeg.415293

12ec27af-ea0c-453c-a7c2-460f974df62c-jpeg.415363

Looove that color.
I have been a stern " machine tool grey" guy most of my life but I am thinking hard about some color now....most of my stuff doesn't have much paint left on it!

So, checked again. Only bearing that is marked is the one in the picture, and even then only on the outer race.

The numbers are efinitely not a marker. It's etched, you can catch a fingernail on the numbers. So it seems it was vibration etched or something similar.

Well, turns out there is more date codes. The outer race on the rear bearing is not marked, but the bearing inner race is etched. Same date as the fwd outer race date: 5-22-51

I missed it the first time around as the etching is very, very small. i’m actually kind if surprised someone was able to free hand vibra-pen numbers that small and still be legible.

So it turns out the front and rear bearings have the same date code, albeit on different parts of each bearing.

Last edited:
OK on it being etched. But the "3" at about 9 o'clock looks more like the stamped ones.

One other minor comment - what would be called the outer race on a ball bearing is commonly called the cone on a tapered roller bearing. I don't think that there is a common name for the part inside of the rollers so I guess that inner race is as good a name as any.

One other minor comment - what would be called the outer race on a ball bearing is commonly called the cone on a tapered roller bearing. I don't think that there is a common name for the part inside of the rollers so I guess that inner race is as good a name as any.
They’re interchangeable.

Inner race, outer race, roller bearings and bearing cage are just another way to describe cup and cone. Or vice versa. All refer to the same thing and all are valid terms.

only real “note” is that cone is often used to refer to the inner bearing parts as an assembly.

30 years working on automobiles and aircraft.,,

Back