Can someone help add dimensions to my freecad file?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I feel so lost on freecad. I try to watch some videos and what not and end up just as confused. I am trying to add dimensions spaced every 1/16 along the large fillet. Basically I want to use my parting blade to rough the fillet and it is 1/16 wide. I will end up with a stepped surface and then file smooth. I cant for the life of me make dimensions work. I am in draft and am having a heck of a time making it work.

I am hoping someone can add them and also tell me how they did it because I cant make them show up.

My son wants me to make a yo-yo on the lathe and I am trying to reproduce an "organic" style yo yo.

Attachments

• Yo-yo.FCStd
    12.9 KB · Views: 14
I feel so lost on freecad. I try to watch some videos and what not and end up just as confused. I am trying to add dimensions spaced every 1/16 along the large fillet. Basically I want to use my parting blade to rough the fillet and it is 1/16 wide. I will end up with a stepped surface and then file smooth. I cant for the life of me make dimensions work. I am in draft and am having a heck of a time making it work.

I am hoping someone can add them and also tell me how they did it because I cant make them show up.

My son wants me to make a yo-yo on the lathe and I am trying to reproduce an "organic" style yo yo.
Can you save it to a DXF or STP file format? If so I can likely help you. If not one of those tell me what Saveas and/or Export options you have.

Can you save it to a DXF or STP file format? If so I can likely help you. If not one of those tell me what Saveas and/or Export options you have.
Here it is exported. Hopefully they work? I did both formats.

Attachments

• Yo-yo-Part.dxf
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Yo-yo-Part.step
    12.7 KB · Views: 2
The drawing looks great but I’m looking for dimensions of the larger radius every 1/16” so I can pre-form it with a parting blade then file round. I don’t have a cnc and want to try to keep both sides symmetrical.

The drawing looks great but I’m looking for dimensions of the larger radius every 1/16” so I can pre-form it with a parting blade then file round. I don’t have a cnc and want to try to keep both sides symmetrical.
Ah, okay give me a few to do that you you. Have you thought about grinding a radius tool from HSS? Just asking, I do not know what your tooling is like...

I don’t have a hss blank large enough. Well. Not yet. My new lathe is still a lantern post setup. I do have a parting blade for it though but nothing larger than 1/4. I plan on getting a qctp but will wait till after the holidays.

I don’t have a hss blank large enough. Well. Not yet. My new lathe is still a lantern post setup. I do have a parting blade for it though but nothing larger than 1/4. I plan on getting a qctp but will wait till after the holidays.
Working on it, your actual radius is .350" you could that arc into a piece of .25" HSS then make several cuts starting at the top working down, just a thought.

What kind of lathe did you get?

See if that is better.

Attachments

• Yo-yo-Part.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 7
Unfortunately FreeCad has a steep learning curve. To add dimensions you would usually use the TechDraw workbench. But I don't know of any way to pick off points on an arc and have it give dimensions without first drawing the steps.

Back