Can y'all post some photos of your quill DRO setups?

This is absolutely perfect timing - I'm attempting to solve the same problem.

I've considered drilling and tapping the heads on the bolts that hold the head tight after tramming.

Here's mine! It uses the bolt access hole to drive the sensor.
It does make the stop more annoying to use, but mostly worth it.

Now the ring lights... OMG worth it!!!
One on the spindle casting, one on the quill
8169d36a11f1d749dd558d3062f6f6ae.jpg
523ff81b91415506d0a564f8c208aefa.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Mine was pretty involved but I am super happy with the result. I had to weld material to the quill stop block so I could mill it into a new shape to allow for the read head to mount to it.

In this image you can see it in the factory original shape and black color.
View attachment 491200

Here it is after the modifications.
View attachment 491201

Here are couple of shots from different angles of the completed install.
View attachment 491203

View attachment 491202
How big of a PITA is it to replaced that black factory ring thingy?
One potential problem my mill has is play in the quill (it can turn about one degree), so if I go for a magnetic scale, I need to find a way to stop it from turning.

Installed a 4 axis EL700 with magnetic scales in 2016, I made a pin to fit into the quill stop and drilled a small set screw to retain the pin. There is a T piece of aluminum that fastens to the pin with two opposing set screws and the reader head attached to the T bar. The magnetic scale is attached as shown in the pictures which allows adjustment in all 3 axis, the scale is oriented so it does not interfere with any of the head functions. If attaching to the top and bottom mounts the screws holes are tapped very shallow as to not interfere with the quill release mechanism. I also have proximity sensors which allow auto start and auto reverse for either repeat drilling or tapping. The reverse trigger uses the adjustable stop as a trigger point for the reverse. Newer magnetic heads and scales are much smaller which would make it more compact and probably a simpler mount.

Quill DRO Scale Mount 1.jpg

Quill DRO Scale Mount 2.jpg

One potential problem my mill has is play in the quill (it can turn about one degree), so if I go for a magnetic scale, I need to find a way to stop it from turning.
Not bad at all. Takes about 5 mins after you figure out the sequence of parts to remove. There is zero play in my quill so I was not concerned about rotational play adding error to the reading. I use magnetic scales and it works perfect so far. The manual for your mill will show a parts diagram that should give hints about how to get them apart. You need to remove the quill threaded stop bolt thingamabob. Then you can unbolt the stop collar from the quill. I welded new material to the ring so I could mill it to the D shape so it had a flat surface to tap into.

I actually modeled a bit of my installation on how mksj did his. We have clear access to the quill stops and the bolts that hold the head on and allow it to be tilted if desired.

Mine was pretty involved but I am super happy with the result. I had to weld material to the quill stop block so I could mill it into a new shape to allow for the read head to mount to it.

In this image you can see it in the factory original shape and black color.
View attachment 491200

Here it is after the modifications.
View attachment 491201

Here are couple of shots from different angles of the completed install.
View attachment 491203

View attachment 491202
beautiful workmanship on that

I have the same issue on my quill. I also have 1um magnetic scales on it. When I manually rotate my quill the error is .0002". I ususally have the readout set to .000 so I do not even see the error that is caused by this. One of the things I do plan to do is remake the aluminum piece that the scale is mounted to with 2 horizontal mounting slots so that can adjust it up next to the quill position thing.

IMG_5935.jpg

Back