Can you identify these anomalies?

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I'm gearing up to start plating some steel parts and so I made a little test piece. The metal is A36 mild steel.
After sanding this piece I washed off the metal dust using dish soap and then I ran it in the SP-Degreaser for 5 minutes and then rinsed in distilled water.
As the distilled water is drying I begin to see all these yellowie-orange spots on the piece.
What the heck is it?

Attachments

• FECB990F-B4F6-4E8F-B6FE-179AD6266C5E.jpeg
    FECB990F-B4F6-4E8F-B6FE-179AD6266C5E.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 0DB29CBE-81DB-455C-ABE9-4CC252DFA604.jpeg
    0DB29CBE-81DB-455C-ABE9-4CC252DFA604.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 74
Oxidation , or rust as we know it . :big grin:
Can it actually be rust that quickly? It appears just a couple minutes after rinsing. And if that's what is is then how do I plate these parts? Rust will ruin the plate.

Rust will appear quick depending on temp. of parts. When your plating your submerged in fluid so not in contact with the atmosphere.

Can it actually be rust that quickly? It appears just a couple minutes after rinsing. And if that's what is is then how do I plate these parts? Rust will ruin the plate.
Move the parts quickly from bath to bath. Don't let them be exposed to air (oxygen) for any length of time.

Freshly cleaned steel will oxidize very quickly if damp. I rinse steel parts with acetone to remove residual moisture. and then wipe dry.

Wow, I can't believe it rusts that fast. Rediculous. But then again, it's par for the course. Everything in guitar making is incredibly difficult and complex.

Freshly cleaned steel will oxidize very quickly if damp. I rinse steel parts with acetone to remove residual moisture. and then wipe dry.
even acetone can cause rust, it cools the part so quickly that condensation can occur.
I too use acetone, but am aware of this, so I wipe it quickly , also don't do this on a humid day.. my two cents, probably only worth a 1/2 cent..

Rinsing in hot water to raise the part temp will help to resist condensation and also help it dry faster after rinse and wiping down. If you rinse and do not make a strong effort to dry the part quickly it is guaranteed to rust real fast. I am talking dry at the molecular level Just because you wipe with a clean dry cloth it is still not dry yet. I have a way oversize dehumidifier in my shop to also help with rust.

Back