Can You Identify This Acetylene Torch Type?

strantor

Active User
Registered
I got this Harris cutting torch from my father 10 yrs ago. He might have had it 10-30 years before that. I want to get a rosebud and a welding tip for it but I can't figure out what to order. It's a Harris Model 1000 body with a Model 1100 torch head on it. These model numbers apparently do not exist anymore. The interface between the body and the torch do not look like anything I can find online. The torch mating male parts extend a full 1.25" into the body: harristorch 1.jpg...which is much further than appears from online pictures of modern "Harris style" torches: harristorch 3.jpg . But maybe the male parts are the same and it's just the nut on the modern Harris torches is longer and obscures the male parts in photos. I can't tell.

I compared it to the Victor torch at work, and they have the same thread pitch/size. I can screw the Victor rosebud onto my old Harris body, but the Victor rosebud male parts to not extend down to the female parts of my Harris body.

(harris torch left, victor right)
harristorch 2.jpg

Inside the Harris torch

harristorch 4.jpg

Hoping you can help...

Thank you

I guess I would check with my local welding supply. I would think in your area there would be several to contact, at least one of them should have Harris products.

I guess I would check with my local welding supply. I would think in your area there would be several to contact, at least one of them should have Harris products.
Yeah I just now came back from visiting the local Airgas shop and they said they've never seen anything like it and I'll probably never find any parts for it.

There are lots of them out there. I think I have the same one and I have a brand new rosebud for it . Been in my tool bin for thirty plus years . just a matter of getting to it My garage is clutter central and I need help to organize it . By the time I can get to it you should come up with one online . They are about the only company who made there equipment chrome plated. plus there mount has two orings to seal .

There are lots of them out there.
If you're right about that, then I must be even less efficient at googling than I thought. I've spent probably 10 cumulative hours searching online and have not found a single picture of, or documentation for what I have. I've found 3 other forum posts by people claiming to have the model 1000 and model 1100 torch, looking for replacement parts, and never coming back to say if/where they found any.

I think I have the same one and I have a brand new rosebud for it . Been in my tool bin for thirty plus years . just a matter of getting to it My garage is clutter central and I need help to organize it . By the time I can get to it you should come up with one online . They are about the only company who made there equipment chrome plated. plus there mount has two orings to seal .
If I was anywhere near NJ I'd gladly come help you organize your garage in exchange for the holy grail rosebud. But I guess we'll have to settle for "if you run across it, I'm interested in buying it."

Just buy another handle and get a rosebud tip to fit it.
Looks like that's probably what I'm going to have to do if I want to weld with acetylene.

What you have is a cutting torch.
Are saying there is a difference between a cutting torch and a welding torch? I'm a noob with this stuff and it's my understanding that:
1. There is only really a "torch," which consists of tanks, hoses, regulators, a handle/body, and an attachment.
2. A "torch" can take a welding attachment, cutting attachment, rosebud attachment, and maybe some other special attachments.
3. Depending on what attachment is currently fitted, one might call it a "cutting torch" or a "welding torch" or etc.

Am I wrong about that? Is there really definite purpose "cutting torches" and "welding torches"? Am I looking for something that never existed (a welding attachment for a cutting torch)?

Build an adapter.
Right!? This is a machinist forum and that should have been the answer from the start; I shouldn't have had to ask the question. But I have my lathe in pieces right now, in the middle of an overhaul and upgrade to VFD and new under-the-bench motor/pulley system. The steel frame for the pulley system is part of what I need the welding torch for.

Looks like that's probably what I'm going to have to do if I want to weld with acetylene.

Are saying there is a difference between a cutting torch and a welding torch? I'm a noob with this stuff and it's my understanding that:
1. There is only really a "torch," which consists of tanks, hoses, regulators, a handle/body, and an attachment.
2. A "torch" can take a welding attachment, cutting attachment, rosebud attachment, and maybe some other special attachments.
3. Depending on what attachment is currently fitted, one might call it a "cutting torch" or a "welding torch" or etc.

Am I wrong about that? Is there really definite purpose "cutting torches" and "welding torches"? Am I looking for something that never existed (a welding attachment for a cutting torch)?

It has been to many years since I have used them but a cutting torch uses compressed oxygen to flush out the molten metal from the heated area. Where a welding tip uses oxygen at a lower pressure plus compressed gas to help keep the temperature hot enough to melt the filler rod, used to braze parts together.

Back