Canadian Importation - not too painful!

NavyShooter

Registered
Registered
I just thought I'd take a minute and pass on my experience importing a PM 1030V lathe to Canada.

Firstoff, I did some research, and comparing King, Busy Bee, and other options, the PM 1030 gives me very competitive value for the money, and comes with the QCTP already installed, with an extra 8" in bed length as compared to similar machines in those companies product lines. I hemmed and hawed for a while, sold my 'tired iron' which was a 1978 Southbend 10K, and put some other monies together into buying the 1030.

It arrives on Monday, so pictures to follow, but here's the breakdown on cost.

PM 1030V with AXA toolset, live center, and threading set : $2452.93 US, plus shipping at $298 (Including lift-gate delivery) for a total of $2850.93 US

That converted to $3689.80 Canadian.

It was shipped this week, and arrived at a bonded customs warehouse in Dartmouth.

Precision Matthews gave me a copy of the "Canada Customs Invoice" Form CI1 by e-mail, and I took that, along with the purchase invoice that PM also emailed me, along with the arrival notice that I picked up in person at the Bonded warehouse over to the CBSA office in Halifax.

I spent 10 minutes in line there, and paid HST on the portion of the purchase that did not include the shipping cost - so the $2452.93. The CBSA folks multiplied that by the daily posted exchange rate for the day I bought it, giving it a value for duty of $3218.99, so I paid $482.85 in HST (Harmonized Sales Tax in Nova Scotia is 15%) and they gave me a stamped copy of the arrival notice form that would enable it to be released from the bonded warehouse.

I went back to the bonded warehouse in Dartmouth with the form, and paid their $50 fee for processing it through their warehouse.

That was finished up by just after 4 PM on Friday afternoon, so the local sub-contractor for UPS will be coming to pick it up from them on Monday morning to deliver to me by lift-gate. (I could have picked it up myself at that point, but since I paid for lift-gate, I'll take it.)

So, in summary, an hour of driving and waiting in line at the customs office saved me any brokerage fees, and my total price in Canadian dollars for my PM 1030V lathe that will be delivered to my door on Monday is:

$3689.80
+482.85
+50
= $4222.65

Which is pretty damn close to what I figured it would be.

Pics to follow, but that's the math and process for any other canucks out there considering buying a PM product.

I will note, having a CBSA office and a Bonded Warehouse in the same city make this a very straight forward process.

Oh, and make sure you specify at customs that it's for personal use...I told them I plan on building a small steam engine. The CBSA officer could relate to my tale of being promoted away from playing with tools at work, and wanting to have a hobby at home.

NS

Then there is importation from Canada into the United States. In the past, if a product was made in the USA
and returning to the United states from Canada, there was no import duty applied when crossing the border. I don't know
if this is still true or not.

Matches my experience with Prec Matthews stuff. My 1340GT cost me the 12% PST +GST at the border and was not applied to shipping costs. The CBSA guys are generally very good to deal with as long as you're up front with them. I bring a fair bit of stuff in from the US and have not paid "Duty" on anything in years just the same taxes I would have paid if I'd purchased the Item in Canada. I have a PM935 mill and a band saw on order with Matt and he makes it VERY easy to bring it in to Canada

@Kamloopsendo how was your 1340gt delivered? Did you broker to bonded warehouse as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had it shipped to Sumas Wa. and brought it across myself. The mill and bandsaw are supposed to be shipped bonded into Canada and I'll simply hit the CBSA offic with the paperwork from Matt and pay the local sales taxes (GST & PST) then the trucker can deliver. I've been thru this when I moved back to Canada from the US a few years ago and one of my boys who lived in the US for 6 years just did the same thing in bringing aoll our stuff back home. It really is not very complex just a bit of bureaucratic paperwork wiyh a few inevitable delays thrown in on occassion.

Maybe a stupid question, but where is the warehouse ? I ship to a border town in babb mt , through the kinek network. My parcels sit in an unheated shed on this ladies property.

Is there a warehouse on the cbsa property? Or is this another thirst party?

I have a flat deck trailer and would prefer to just go get the lathe myself after the paperwork is cleared

I honestly don't know what will happen where you live. Generally I think the "bonded" warehouse is a shipper/trucker facility. If I were you just run down into the US pick it up and bring it back acrross yourself - it really is VERY straightforward

The process doesn't bother me, the logistics/timing does . If the truck arrives at the facility I use, there are no forklifts / hoists. If the lift gate it there , it would sit outside..... and when I get there I would have no easy way to load it

My best bet would be if Matt from pm would arrange the delivery end to end with lift gate at my shop

Something to ponder

@Kamloopsendo how was your 1340gt delivered? Did you broker to bonded warehouse as well?

i shippped it to a US post office box in Sumas Wa and went down and brought it thru myself. It's no different than arriving at any border crossing with things you purchased while in the US - simply declare what you've purchased, pay the tax and drive home. Delivery to a US post office box is easy. there are companies on the US side of any major border crossings tha provide these mailbox services and at a nominal fee My guys charge $4 cdn per package and $20 Cdn for big stuff - like a lathe or mill. This is one of them: http://shiptotheborder.com/new-location-in-babb-montana

Alex

Back