Canon ball

genec

Active User
Registered
I started this 10 years before the Internet back then if you didn't know machinist you are on your own, all information came in magazines.
If you look at the attached photos,
I need to turn a ball on the end of this canon, at present it is between a live Center and a dead center and that would be the ideal place to do it. The other alternative is to make / buy a Mandrell and use a steady rest, I don't like the idea of the steady rest scratching up my finish. The canon has 1/2 inch bore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DSC03825.JPGDSC03821.JPGDSC03822.JPGDSC03824.JPG

DSC03825.JPG DSC03821.JPG DSC03822.JPG DSC03824.JPG

You could try making a ring(sleave) that can be heat fitted (or maybe glued) for the fixed steady to rub on ?

I think work holding is somthing that always provides an interesting chalange :)

nice cannon by the way

Stuart

You could use a cat head. First make some shims of wood or hard plastic to protect the barrel from the cat head bolts. Once it's mounted and centered, that piece is small enough that you can just put the cat head in the chuck. Normally, they're used with a center rest to support long flat sided pieces in a lathe.

Ray

steadypost10.jpg

steadypost10.jpg

Some of the old timers used an old leather belt clamped to one of the fingers and wrapped around the part to actually let the part ride on the leather. A little lube and there will be no scratches.

thanks for the ideas, I thinking of putting cam followers on the steady rest.:tiphat:

Back