Capacitor Help needed

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just picked up an old Rockwell wood lathe and the start capacitor seems to be bad. Of course the paper tag is damaged and I can figure out what capacitor to use. The motor is a Baldor 1 hp motor running on 110 VAC. The motor tag says that it is a L3510. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what micro farad range to use? Do I need to get a capacitor specifically for 110 volts? My motor can be set for 110 or 220vac. Most of the capacitors seem to be rated for 220-250 vac.
My electrical savvy is pretty limited, but I keep trying.o_O

Motor capacitors are widely available from many sources. To start, 250 ufd for a 3/4 HP motor is a good starting point. It must be a motor capacitor, do not attempt to use a common electronics capacitor. I would recommend one rated for 480 volts, 240 volts is usable. One rated for 120 volts would work for a while, but. . . If the use is critical, capacitance can be tried up a little or down a little to fine tune the starting torque. Just remember that the capacitor comes into play only when the motor is starting. Once it is up to speed (about 50%) the cap is switched off.

The voltage rating is a not to exceed value. So a 250V capacitor will work fine on 110V.

Didn't claim it was the best price. If I find something on Amazon, I always search for a better deal. Often the best price is elsewhere, even local. YMMV. Was amazed it was even listed. Any cap of identical values would do, although I'd avoid very old stock. Cap do age.

Same capacitor is $13.00 with free shipping. Voltage of 125V is fine as it is only one side of the coil. Stock specs. ELEC CAP, 645-774 MFD, 125V, 2.06D X 4

645-774 uF x 110/125 VAC - Packard PMJ645 Start Capacitor - BMI Replacement # 092A645B125BD4A - Made in The USA

Same model with bleed resistor

Back