Car clutch questions (trying to make something from nothing)

If there is enough space in the housing ,you could go twin plate,with two standard discs...........this is what Landrover did for the Australian military Rovers,using an Isuzu diesel......even cut away part of the clutch spline hub to squeeze it all in.

I'm not afraid to experiment with standard parts, like stiking two stock clutches to make a twin disc clutch and from what i've seen some even use conventional pressure plate with spaces and a free floating middle plate, but my biggest challenge will be balancing it. The PRV i have loves to rev, it had 93mm bore and 55mm stroke, lots of torque and picks rpm like a motorcycle engine. I don't want to get my feet decapitated.

I was going to suggest looking into a small modern 4 cylinder engine from a Honda or something but then I thought that would add the headache of the fuel injection management etc. Although there are plenty of options available now especially if you live where they don't have strict pollution laws.

Stioc, the biggest problem with using modern engine is cost, i'm not afraid of wiring but i have to buy a donor car so i can use the entire wiring loom because of Key code transmitters and with monthly income of 2-300$ aftermarket ecu are out of my price range also custom duties for importing staff is ridiculously expensive. We do not have any anti pollution laws, i can run what ever i want.

Stioc, the biggest problem with using modern engine is cost, i'm not afraid of wiring but i have to buy a donor car so i can use the entire wiring loom because of Key code transmitters and with monthly income of 2-300$ aftermarket ecu are out of my price range also custom duties for importing staff is ridiculously expensive. We do not have any anti pollution laws, i can run what ever i want.

I hear you the cost definitely plays a big role in the decision making. Cost aside, if it was me I would keep the Niva all stock :)

This may still hapand but i may have to use a different peugeot engine, probably a diesel, simply because the one in the little niva is using too much oil.

Wouldn't a diesel engine use more oil than a gas engine :)
Seriously, if the Niva engine did not burn so much oil would it be a keeper?
Is a used 5 speed gearbox an option to get better on-road performance?

Last edited:
4 stroke diesels don't use any oil, from spiking with couple of old mechanics, the engine in my niva is what known as an oil burner, it apparently doesn't have any valve stem oil seals, and the engine probably from sitting has few stuck oil scraper rings. The engine in the little niva is on its third oil jug, i'm not keeping track but its burning close to a liter of oil every 2-300 km. There's something else to consider diesel fuel is 30% cheaper here and those engines are very fuel efficient and very long lasting, there is always the option for me to keep the LPG and have it for extra power, diesels love propane almost like nitrous.

Why not Yanmar? They build lots of different engines and will be around for a long time since they're so big in the marine and industrial industries. Yanmars are compact and reliable, and since you have to adapt the clutch/tranny anyway might as well go with something that is widely available rather than having to search scrap yards for parts.

John

Last edited:
Matt, i've heard about yanmar, and their reliability but i've never even seen one. You are forgetting, i'm in europe we don't have the same things available, and the engine i'm looking at is just that very easy to get and everywhere, i still may search in scrap yards for it or get a donor car just because is cheaper.

Back