[Noteworthy] Carbide inserts... I'VE GOT A SPLITTING HEADACHE!!

xalky

Registered
Registered
I've spent most of the morning online trying to purchase some carbide inserts for some of my toolholders and milling cutters. I finally did find what I needed but what a chore. The array of sizes, shapes, materials, coatings, angle reliefs, and chipbreaker types has given me a splitting headache :phew:.

I found a great page to decode these things, but even with that, it's a little mind boggling.

And then there's the price considerations. Enco seems to have the best prices I've found anywhere on inserts. I'm really beginning to like ENCO for quality and value, especially with the coupon codes. I do find the website a little tough to navigate sometimes.

Here's the page I found for deciphering inserts. http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

I hope somebody finds it useful.

Marcel

Whenever I get a new insert holder or cutter, I write-down in my shop log what kind of inserts it uses. That can save you a lot of grief. I also try to get tools that use the same inserts. I only have about 4 (maybe 5) different kinds in the shop and that makes reordering very easy.

There are quite a few places on eBay that sell inserts. If I bought them at MSC, I'd go broke. Try ghis place. http://stores.ebay.com/RISHET-TOOLS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 There is also "Discount Carbide" and "Carbide Now". Most 10-packs are about 20 bucks.

Ray

Woh, Ray. Thats a great E-bay vendor for inserts. Thanks for the link. I might just buy some more from him now. Now that I know what i need it's gonna be much easier. I'm gonna engrave the the insert #s right on the tools so I'll never have to go thru that again.

Wholly crap there are a lot of options on inserts, I have two TCMT holders that are .625, but not many sellers of inserts that large, I also have a Kennametal DCLNR-124-ND0 holder that I have not figured out what inserts that I need. Tim

I had a similar problem with a newly acquired older style Kennametal facing tool. I spoke with them on the phone and they cheerfully helped me get the proper numbers for my insert style. Then you just have to decide what style(s) are right for your projects. material and coating and such. They helped me there also. Pretty cool for a big company selling mostly to industry.

Print out the template thing on the first link above. It should print in "actual size" and you can put your inserts on the template for sizing and hole configuration. That'll get you the first part of the puzzle. Then go to the second link and pick your desired other attributes. Then armed with a few facts, go on ebay and enter what you think you want in the search box. The popular ones will pop up, and at a good price. Go for the most popular that fit in your holder. You'll know the most popular ones by how many listings there are and the pricing. Most of the time you'll want to buy in boxes of 10 to save money. Otherwise the shipping kills you.

Well after 3 days of research on the net, I found that the Kennemetal and Dorian catalogs have the best information on tool types for the type of machining you are doing on a lathe. The kennemetal catalog is http://www.kennametal.com/content/d...ng/A-11-02679_MasterCat2013_complete_inch.pdf

Look at page 247

The Dorian is http://www.doriantool.com/wp-content/uploads/dorian_tool_TurningTools_CarbideInserts_.pdf

page 8 gives insert shape and position for the type of feed you are doing, page 91 starts with the holder types, I was getting confused with a 864 and a 124 sized holder, they both take a 1/2" insert but the shank sizes are different.

I am trying to use the "M" series clamping system and 1/2" sized inserts for as many of my tools as possible. This is preference, I am trying to get the most rigidity and interchangeability of holder parts as possible from the different types of holders because I am hoping to make up for any slop that my lathe may have.

Hope this helps. Tim

Last edited:
Back