Carbide internal grooving and threading tool recommendations?

TonyBen

Registered
Registered
I'd like some recommendations for carbide grooving and threading tools I need to make some thread protectors and also get set up for blueprinting receiver threads on Remingtons and Savages.

The lathe is my PM1236T. I'm using an Aloris BXA tool post.

Tony.

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a model number, would you?

They make all different sizes so it depends on what you need . Same bar will groove and thread and they make left and right hand bars . They may be pricey but we buy once and cry once .

That's the ticket ! I have quite a few of these bars in both hands . Like I said , they are expensive but they are nice . I can't comment on cheaper bars as I've never owned or used them , but others may chime in .

Done! Ordered! Now I just have to find inserts. Carbide depot loves me.

What's the smallest size you will be threading or grooving? The bar you linked has a minimum bore of 0.44". I use Micro100 and Redline Tools carbide bars for the smaller stuff.

look under carbide bars

I have the standard threading and boring bars and made adapters to fit by round boring bar holder, they also have a quick change system that looks nifty.

For now, 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8" internal threads, but I do need to make a thread protector for my Ruger SR22 barrel which is smaller. Not sure of the thread size just yet.

Receivers will generally have 1" to 1.25" threads.

Tony.

Yes !!!!! The Micro bars are great for very small threads ! :encourage:

Back