Carbide internal grooving and threading tool recommendations?

I didn’t realize what I was missing until I tried a Micro threading tool, I love them! The Redline is a bit cheaper, and with my limited use so far, seems to be just as good.

Your 1/2 thread should work with the Kennametal bar if it is 1/2-28, a 1/2-20 looks to be just barely big enough for it to fit.

I'll eventually get a micro thread tool, but as it stands, I just spent a few hundred between a boring bar, a top-notch bar and internal/external grooving and threading inserts.

H11WytUh.jpg

I have some smaller Kennametal CCMT KCU25's inbound that I just ordered this morning.

Thanks for all the help! This will get me started on threading barrels, making thread protectors and truing actions.

Tony.

You'll be more than happy with those tools ! :encourage:

I prefer HSS for truing up internal threads. Carbide can be made to work but insert selection is important because you really cant use the speed that carbide typically likes for a nice surface finish. The bigger issue for me was picking up the thread, it is really easy to break the insert when your poking around in the action. HSS is very forgiving and you can feel your way into the thread with the tool by manipulating the compound and crosslide. An inexpensive borescope is useful to help pick up the thread down in the hole and help determine the proper stopping point for the thread. I ground a nice stout boring bar with a threading profile it has served me well for many years super quick to touch up and good as new

Back