Carbide Taps

Eyerelief

Registered
Registered
I've never used a carbide tap prior to this past weekend. I purchased a couple of press plates online with the idea of adding a ring on the bottom to captivate them on the press while allowing them to rotate if needed. I soon discovered that the 1" thick plates were also hardened. To what level I do not know, but a new cobalt drill bit would not make as much as a filing. No problem, I have an 1/8" carbide drill bit. I drilled a hole .700 deep, my idea called for a blind hole. I then opened the hole with carbide end mills, 1/4", then 5/16" (.3125) for a 3/8" cap screw. Then I discovered my tap wouldn't scratch it either. I wasn't having fun anymore. OK! Lets give the guy with anger issues a hardened plate, a blind hole, and a brittle tap and set him alone in the corner and watch what happens! My wife thinks this is hi entertainment when self quarantining.
I chose a WIDIA TiN coated carbide tap thinking it would look very nice broken off in the hole. $30 later, I had my eminent failure in hand. First thing I had overlooked was the fact that the tap had no flats to use with a tap wrench because your not supposed to use carbide taps for hand tapping apparently.
Wouldn't let that slow me down so I ground some flats on it using the universal grinder.
IMG_7948.jpg
By now I've determined that this project was riding a bullet train, destination disaster. After consuming a little thinking juice (I usually have pretty good success with Miller Lite) I put a tap guide in the collet on the mill and decided to get started.
IMG_7924.jpg
Resistance was high and cutting fluid seemed to provide little help. With 1/8 turns and then breaking the chip, I finally made it to the bottom. The bright threads happened as I believe the hole was flooded with sweat and cutting fluid.
IMG_7928 (002).jpgIMG_7941.jpg
The resistance was present all the way down, so much that I had to keep checking to see if I had hit bottom of the blind hole. I would be really nervous using a carbide tap 1/4" or smaller. It did work though with a little patience and a lot of thinking juice. The ring on the bottom of the press plate allows for free rotation but most importantly can be removed if needed. I did both plates and surprisingly still have the tap.

Well that was entertaining! Glad you made it through to the end without disaster.

Success!
Congratulations.

I always approach such tasks very pessimistically also.
Sometimes I get pleasantly surprised too.

In this case you had already thought about all the ways it could go wrong, so I suspect you were extra careful.

-brino

Sounds like the story of my life.
I’m very happy to see that I’m not the only one swimming upstream even when going downstream is so much easier.
Your results are well earned and you learned things that aren’t in any textbook.
Some lessons teach us what not to do

Congrats on a job well done

Yes brino. I come up with these ideas and the glass is half full. Once a couple of facets are not as expected, in this case, hardened plate and a tap that isn't designed for hand tapping, suddenly the glass is half empty. One of my biggest weakness is being in a hurry. Not because Im in a hurry, but because I cant wait to see how it turns out.

Congratulations on achieving what you wanted.

Was the blind hole significant beyond cosmetic/your desire? In other words, why not a through hole?

Secondly, what are the details of the tap type? What thread? Looks like 4 straight flutes. What point type? Taper or Plug? Spiral point or? A picture would resolve the questions.

Things like this is how they developed the TV show "MacGyver", and the saying Get-R-done.

I can't remember if they were carbide, but a shop I interned in had to special order some ~M10 taps for parts that came back from HT slightly warped where the threads were not usable. The taps were AlTiN coated and had like 12 flutes. Scary sharp. I think they were like $300 each. Anyways, they did work great for bringing the tapped holes back into tolerance in some HRc60 steels.

When you decide to surface those press plates, come back here and let us know how it goes. I've got a few that I'd like to face or fly cut square, but I don't have much carbide to spare.

Back