Carriage Feed Quit

My father used the name Dick from the time I was born until his mid 80s.
Then he decided he wanted to be called Richard and stayed that way until he died at 92.

Structurally, the 8X18s, 9X19s, 9X20s and the like are almost identical. Much of the "bragging" about center height and length between centers is a matter of marketing. How deeply the tail center fits into the tailstock. The carriage, well the apron has two different feed mechanisms for feed per revolution versus threading. The feed is driven by half nuts, for threading it uses a key running in a slot on the lead screw. There is an "interlock" to prevent engaging both at the same time. You should concentrate there for a loose piece not rotating fully, allowing the undesired kick out. Other than a piece of scrap on the cam follower, a loose cam is likely the problem. Not an absolute answer, but the apron has a number of adjustments.

I got it degreased today, can see things a little clearer now and it’s not such a greasy pig to handle.

Thank you sir and bingo. As I said earlier, the gear as seen in the 2nd picture, wasn’t engaging fully. Well suddenly it did engage on me and I figured out why. The screw (circled) was loose and it somehow caused the lever (arrow) to not lift high enough. That lever and it clearing the shaft for the sliding gear, is the safety mechanism for the half nut that you pointed me too. I have to figure out how to get this lever set correctly, so it drops out of the way of the shaft, so the gear can fully engage. Now that I know what needs setting, I’m not so lost. Thank you.
The half nut, in the third picture, looks a tad worn out, I don’t see any way of adjusting the halfnut to close tighter on the threads or to be looser when disengaged so it doesn’t wear prematurely. I guess, I best be ordering one from Grizzly. Damn I hate UPS into Canada. My learning curve should continue on soon, thank you all

Attachments

• 16A3D1A5-01DF-40C7-AF27-1E31EE24F7E3.jpeg
    16A3D1A5-01DF-40C7-AF27-1E31EE24F7E3.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 114
  • B9103A29-8B35-4AEE-A41E-7F447F2938CD.jpeg
    B9103A29-8B35-4AEE-A41E-7F447F2938CD.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 120
  • E36261E9-82DF-438A-8971-36BC59278CEC.jpeg
    E36261E9-82DF-438A-8971-36BC59278CEC.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 119
Oh, and where I said, the lever isn’t lifting high enough, to clear the shaft. It’s really dropping, it upside down on the bench. Maybe I should look into a possible way of adding some spring tension to aid it’s movement.

My father used the name Dick from the time I was born until his mid 80s.
Then he decided he wanted to be called Richard and stayed that way until he died at 92.
My brother is a Richard, I called him Rick for 60 years. Now he is Richard? Wtf

update to this.
After what was probably 50 attempts, I finially got everything set and functioning correctly. The lever that stops the carriage feed from engaging when half nut is on and vice versa, appeared to have a very slight bend. Most of my setting issues were with the half nut. It would work fine on bench, but on the lathe, it would engage, then jam up and refuse to disengage.
The half nuts are totally worn out and am trying to order from Grizzly, but their website won’t accept my postal code. And as usual, my email to solve got a reply on the stipulations for Canadian orders. That was all known and understood, i didn’t need that info, but reading my email and solving the issue would be some actual customer service. SMH

Back