Carriage lock craftsman old style perhaps

I took a look at the carriage lock on my 3996 this afternoon. It is the same as the original one on your machine. It is kept from rotating by the end of the hold-down bearing plate. I wouldn't move the hole to the center.

I have never had any slippage problems with mine.

I've had a real good play this morning . I put two 1 & 3/4 inch holes through a 2 & 1/2 thick aluminium block with the biggest Morse taper drill I have.

I also used a boring bar that I had to change tips on to get the reach from the centre without fouling the headstock shaft edge on the boring bar as the holes got bigger . The new locking plate worked perfectly every time .
So did the home made gear mounting stud , Purrrrrfect ! I ran the hole in at 97 tpi rate on auto .. that saved a lot of hand ache .

Now I have to make a new tool post bolt or try and hand thread some reasonably hard bar for the existing bolt & securing nut is made of mild steel ... the threads stripped / slipped as I was changing bar tips. Solution for the instant was to use a new M/S nut. but that " creaked like an old man as it was tightened. In the end I also used new a bit of M/S studding for the tool post bolt as the full & final emergency solution.

Last edited:
It seems the , " Creaking like an old man " , was not just me :lmao:

When we got back home today ( Been out shopping with my lass ) & I managed to start playing on the lathe this afternoon , the boring bar moved in the clamp on the tool post . Being normal I got the spanner and nipped the head nut tight only to find that as soon as the cut was restarted the boring bar came loose & moved again .

Thinking that the head nut or the post bolt had started to strip thread again I replaced both with more new unused zinc plated mild steel studding & a new nut .
T'was only when I started to tighten the head nut again that I felt & heard things graunch & jump a bit under the spanner.

Puzzled , I undid it a bit and observed from eye level with the tool post , found that as things started to tighten up the small stand off /height compensating precision hardened bolt on the tool post clamping plate ( An old Myford post clamp ) has " fretted " in the threaded cast iron plate's hole and was starting to slip through half a thread or so every time I've been tighten it up for the last few days .

No wonder I was getting a cone shaped "parallel " bores hole out by 3 thou. towards the face plate . I just didn't recognise what was causing it , for I'd run thorough the test bar checks several times and found everything hunky-dory . I thought it might have been the friction heat in the block of aluminium as it was some what slightly hotter than comfortable for my poor little pinkies .

The solution was to drill out the damaged thread and re tap with an 8 mm coarse metric one , but even this was not satisfactory as the meat of the plate was only about 1/4 " thick at the vital point .
The common bolt ( choice of several ) I put in was a tiny bit sloppy & would soon be following the same course as the other bolt in the cast iron clamping plate .
Not having any better bolts to hand I slipped a flat washer over the free end of the thread and added two plain hexagonal nuts , then gave them a gentle lock nutting tweak with a 10 mm spanner . Now the whole clamp is rock solidly supported on the brace side , the whole tool post and tool is clamped up very well indeed.

First indications of my success are that I have reverted to getting parallel walled cylindrical bored holes again.

It looks like I'll have to go and buy some case hardening powder to harden up a few frequently worked mild steel nuts & bolts on the lathe as well as some precision high tensile machine nuts , screws , bolts for I'm sick of these cheap and nasty British standard American Chinese mild steel ones giving up the ghost & bringing the house down .

It also looks extremely likely that because of having to have had to drill out the fretted threads to effect a quick repair that I'll have to add , " Make a new tool post clamping bracket out of steel rather than cast iron " , to the list of must do's ... SOON .

This is the cheapest option because I have several different thickness of cutting tools . Otherwise it will mean I'll have to get a rather expensive QCTP & centre mounting bolt set up to cover all cutter /tool sizes and I can't justify that to , " The love of my life " , just yet , ........... or can I ? :thinking: :lmao:

Back