Cartridge spindle for a slow speed grinder / diamond lap

jeremysf

Registered
Registered
Hello!

I’m working on a spindle for a slow speed grinder / diamond lap that I’m building.

I prototyped the grinder using pillow blocks and bearings and it came out OK, but I decided I’d try my hand at making a proper spindle.

I’m using designs from this book as a starting point:

6359d29df946fd326c177d07f80548cd.jpg

I decided to make the spindle from 12L14 to make my life easier. I picked up some 2” round from onlinemetals.com as my fav local metal supply place does not carry 12L14 (Alan Steel & Supply in Redwood City).

The design I picked is a 7” cartridge spindle with two front bearings and one rear bearing, although mine will be a solid spindle without a center bore and the spindle nose will be machined to register with an inset shoulder on a 6” aluminum lap plate rather than a morse taper:

4667bfbc5895e97bc07e9830f8e039d1.jpg

First step was to machine the clamping nut for the front bearings. This nut clamps the inner bearing races against each other and a shoulder on the spindle nose.

I didn’t have a carbide insert inside threading tool handy so I ground my own on my pedestal grinder and cleaned it up and honed it on my Deckel clone:

2f8c33e54be8f567f49fffb5f287cee0.jpg

The front bearing nut has 24 tpi threads and 0.125” clearance so that the nut rests only on the threads and against the inner bearing race.

df750545834fcaa90524f705566a8942.jpg

3120247923d3c4afd756bf865cb290f1.jpg

Next up, I faced and center drilled the 2” round. Since I did this without cleaning up the OD, and by flipping the part around in my 4-jaw, I was not counting on the newly faced ends to be particularly true.

I then set up the work between centers and got to work machining the spindle nose and roughing the spindle profile. I generally use carbide inserts on my PM-1640 lathe.

12b389a7e7e60b5d7b5d604a83d1c1c0.jpg

2db5cc10221a9295de354d850eefa314.jpg

ed51318c675d23099921a4e6e8453122.jpg

I picked up inexpensive sealed bearings from Amazon; 25x47x12mm for the fronts and 20x37x9mm for the back.

I finished the OD for the front and rear bearings, aiming for a tight, bordering on interference fit, but went a bit far with the emory paper and ended up with a very close sliding fit.

2266430517ac9508a8cf041b0579580f.jpg

Next up, I machined the threads for the front bearing clamp nut. I did this in 0.005” passes, and stopped the lathe short ~0.050” from my desired end. My PM-1640 is three phase and I set it up with a VFD and added a jog joystick when I first got it. I used the jog to cut the last ~0.050” of threads, which allowed me to stop the thread very precisely without any kind of gutter.

I prefer not to disengage the half nut in favor of backing out the cross slide and running in reverse, especially since my lathe has reverse on the hand lever.

The blue painters tape below increases the OD to allow me to “hold” the front bearing clamping nut on the shaft during threading for easy access for test fitting (ie without having to disengage the tailstock from the work).

aa423282803b00a1b5aab7e09aa4e306.jpg

37a165c027121c1b862328f976f1013d.jpg

I was able to achieve a very close, tight fit between the spindle and the clamping nut.

A quick test assembly has things looking good!

Next up is to machine the threads for the pulley nut that clamps the pulley to the rear bearing race, to the shoulder at the end of the spindle. After a quick cleanup of the faces on the ends of the spindle, that will be the spindle done and I’ll get started on the spindle body.

More to come!

8dac968181f8489a39aabc246835ff71.jpg

VERY nice! And your hands stayed clean!!

Awww, thanks! Gotta look pretty for the pictures!

On a related note, I am embarrassed to say that I *just* switched from hand cleaner with pumice to “smooth” hand cleaner.

The trigger for that? Finding some pumice embedded in the ways of my lathe

Soooo, what is this for?
Very nice work BTW.

Nice work!

I’ve been thinking about building a TPG so I bought the book.

What are you planning to lap?

From my research, aluminum doesn’t fair well in rotary lapping devices. To easy to dig in and scratch.

Robin Renzeti and Stephan swear by ceramic discs and diamond lapping compound. Search EBay for

Alumina ceramic wafer ceramics substrate insulation 28mm~100mm diameter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m planning to use diamond discs (thin steel discs coated with diamond abrasive) similar to Stefan Gtwr’s slow speed diamond lap YouTube videos, rather than diamond paste charging the aluminum disc.

My interest is in lapping carbide scraping blades for scraping cast iron, like the one rough ground on my Deckel clone below.

d4d482666f561f34f1742625f2b37927.jpg

Current progress: working on the back bearing related parts.

First up I turned down the pulley clamping nut that clamps the inner race of the rear bearing against a shoulder on spindle. I have some 1” round in 12L14, but the next size up on hand was 2” round, soooo, lots of chips to get the nut down to its OD of 1.25”.

I cut 16 tpi internal threads, and then cut a 0.125” deep relief, so the pulley clamping nut can be tightened to overhang the start of the un-threaded part of the spindle that inner bearing race rests on.

bbe0a48fa6e56bae0df6a2eb432d7bb1.jpg

I’m going to mill a few flats on the OD to be able to get a wrench on it to crank it down.

Next up, I turned down the pulley that clamps against the rear bearing from 2” round. It has a small 0.050” deep foot that clamps directly against the inner bearing race of the back bearing, and then a step up to a larger OD that fits inside (but does not touch) the spindle housing (leaving the pulley itself outside the spindle housing).

Finally, I set up the compound to cut the 40
degree included angle faces that the belt rests on. I am using polyurethane round belt, which is super duper easy to make custom length belts, works with tighter radii than v-belts (even notched v-belts), and has plenty of power transmission for this application.

e5920a04998dc4584661d8031a27b2bf.jpg

I still need to broach a keyway in the pulley, and mill the corresponding keyway on the rear of the spindle shaft.

Here’s what the spindle assembly in progress looks like:

a36a3f3571fce33b38bf56fc329f5f3a.jpg

Now that I have the pulley clamping nut machined, I can cut the threads on the end of the spindle that the pulley nut will fit on. I didn’t cut those threads yet because I am aiming for a very tight fit between the spindle and pulley nut.

Making progress!

Got the rear threads cut on the spindle. The setup was between centers, but it didn’t go as smoothly as I would have liked.

b564fb7ce9b3721b21475a4e28d2d36c.jpg

The intention was for the internal threads of the rear pulley nut to be 3/4” at 16 tpi, but in reality, it turns out they ended up being more like 0.740” at 16 tpi. Not sure how I managed to be so off!

The good news is that I got a lot of practice at re-picking up my thread as I disengaged the half nut several times and pulled the work off the centers in the process of filing down the OD, deepening the threads, testing fit, etc.

Despite all that, the end result came out super nice, with a very close threaded fit between the spindle and the pulley nut.

3c91806d5fce238d57c36fe5a3f85672.jpg

I have a few more operations to do before the spindle assemble is “done done”:

I need to broach the keyway in the pulley and mill the matching keyway in the spindle body.

I need to mill flats on the pulley nut so I can get a wrench on it, and similarly mill two slots on the front bearing clamping nut so I can use a spanner to tighten it.

Lastly, I am planning to drill and thread a 7/16” hole in the spindle nose with a 0.5” relief about 1/4” deep. That will allow me to machine a 7/16” bolt with a 0.5” shoulder that locates through the steel diamond disc, through the 6” aluminum backing wheel, and then threads into the spindle nose.

After that, the next step is to machine the spindle housing.

The rear bearing will be a tight fit inside the housing but will actually float axially relative to the housing. From the “spindles book” the reason for not clamping the back bearing outer race is to allow for any potential expansion of the spindle due to heat. Very unlikely in my application (~200 rpm lapping) but

The front bearing outer races however, will be clamped between a shoulder in the spindle housing and a front clamping nut that threads into the spindle housing right behind the spindle nose. That clamping action is pretty much all that retains the spindle body in the spindle housing.

Definitely improving my machining skills by leaps and bounds on this project, and so far, have managed not to make any mistakes that would require remaking any parts!

You may be reluctant to call yourself a machinist, but you are definitely machining. Looking excellent.

Back