cast iron skillets

+1 on buying quality new stuff. Like lodge or Le Creuset if you have the bucks.

never buy cast iron cookware or muffin tins used. Reloaders such as myself use them to melt lead for bullets and sinkers. Muffin tins make great ingot molds.

If you want stainless, My wife bought a west bend set at the Airshow in Oshkosh years back it was quality stuff but expensive. It's made in West bend wisconsin and is called regal cookware today.http://www.regalware.com

Chris

American made cast iron cook ware by Lodge is probably the best in the world and is way cheaper than high dollar stainless or clad types of pots and pans. I have several pieces that were bought new recently and in a short period of time they are as good or better non-sick surfaces than a brand new non-stick Teflon pan. I only buy the Lodge brand and have a 12 inch skillet with lid, an 8 section cornbread skillet, a Griddle and a 4 qt. Dutch oven. I should have gone ahead and gotten the larger Dutch oven when I bought the 4 Qt. because it is proving to be a tad small on occasion. I re-season them as soon as they arrive by coating them in Crisco and baking them in the oven for an hour at 400 degrees. I do the inside first then do it again and coat the outside and place the cooker ware upside down in the oven over a suitable pan to catch any drips or runs. Once that task is completed I never ever wash the pans with soap again. I rinse them thoroughly and if dirty still I use a well worn green scrubbing pad to loosen any residue and rinse well. I put a small amount of water into the pan and return it to the stove to boil off, then coat with vegetable oil for storage. Those pans have a nice cooked on ester of vegetable oils that is almost impossible to damage even with some soap and heavy scrubbing. Also the extremely small amount f Iron that you could possibly ever be exposed to is not harmful in any way. Good luck and enjoy the iron, I love mine and plan to give them to my son when I pass beyond the curtain of this life. They will last several life times if not broken or damaged mechanically somehow, and they only get better with time and use!!!!

Bob

I suppose that if one has the disease hemochromatosis (too much iron in your blood), then cooking with cast iron would be problem. However, I won't be surprise that in the near future, the government will issue a warning label on your next lathe or mill "DO NOT LICK, MAY BE HAZZARDESS TO YOUR HEALTH " :panic:Mark

Here is all you have to know about cast iron cooking:

PHP:
[HTML][CODE][/CODE][/HTML]
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cast+iron+cuisine+cookbook&ia=products&iai=0939837846http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41a2JKcGTCL.jpghttp%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41a2JKcGTCL._SL160_.jpg

Cut it, paste it, buy it now.

Turning back a little to a pertinent subject, unintentional " seasoning " is the usual problem with welding cast iron.......BLJHB.

Lead, I would be more concerned about radioactivity.

Lead is the aftermath of radioactive isotope decay, so I have to assume that if it's lead it's not radioactive anymore? Not quite sure on that, I'll do some research.

hi: I love cast iron frying pans with smooth insides - not the ones with ridges. To clean them they never touch water or soap - instead i rub them down with course salt and a little bit of oil. The salt is abrasive enough to clean a seasoned pan and it also absorbs any water from whatever you cooked in the pan. I didn't read the whole list of replies to see if anyone else mentioned this but if so - corroborated.

My wife and I have a bunch of cast iron skillets, griddles and kettles that we use. If you get good old American made Wagner or Griswald brand and they are clean, you will be fine.

I started using a Griswald dutch oven to bake bread, it does a great job. I don't know if the price is so high on the older Griswald cast iron because they work so well or if collectors are running the price up just because they are "old".

Only issue with cast iron is the weight, sometimes arthritis in the hands makes it hard to pick up a hot skillet safely.

Mike

I bought a Lodge cast iron skillet at WalMart. I like it a lot. Pre-seasoned, so if you don't have a lot of experience with cast iron, you will still be off to a fast start. American made too!

GG

Back