Cast Iron Surface Plate

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I can acquire a 12"x18" cast iron surface plate at a very low price. I have a 24"x36" Precision Granite plate so I really don't need this. And I sold my sailboat some years ago so I don't need an anchor.

Is there any advantage to cast iron over granite as far as surface plates go? Could I re-purpose it? Into what?

I like cast iron so I can stick magnetic bases to it, and because of the properties of CI it doesn't remain magnetized. Some surface grinder tooling is made from CI because of this reason.

It can also be scraped or ground flat, with a large surface, rotary surface, or blanchard grinder. If ground, make sure it stays clean, dry, and rub the surface lightly with an oilstone to remove any small burrs. CI does have a tendency to lift a burr around any nicks or dents. Stoning will remove such high spots.

Some silicone spray and a wipe down is good once in awhile, clean oil off before doing any scraping though.

If you have another good plate, and you don't really need another, you can use it as a lapping plate. But you could destroy the plate in the long term.

if you can get a CI plate at a low price, get it-
then find a use later :grin:

It's a trade for a Mitotoyo 6" dial vernier. On the face of that it doesn't seem that good a deal but I have four of them so why not get rid of one for something else I don't need? Sounds reasonable to me.

you can always trade unwanted items, for wanted items, grasshopper :tranquility:

Cast you can repair/rescrape yourself!
If it's flat, then why would you want to repurpose?
I won't diss my peers who have and like their granite.
I just like the feel of the CI.

Daryl
MN

Not sure it's flat. Haven't seen anything but a CL photo and it looks a little rusty. I don't scrape, or at least never have. This might be an opportunity...

Anyway he is going to bring it over tomorrow and we can make (or break) a deal.

I buy guns and other tools whenever the price is right. But this thing is heavy.

Back