• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Cast Iron

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
Anybody here doing cast iron...I have an old CI stove with a broken foot...I can supply a good foot for the mold and an old cast iron pan or two for material ...Casting is not in my skill set...Opinions Please...Thanks...**Gator**

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I would suggest using old engine blocks or machines for the metal. Cast iron use for cooking appliances was sometimes inferior metal.

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
Thanks RJ.
Like I said casting is not part of my skill set...Any suggestions for doner material ??...Sure enough having a bad spelling day on my side...Y'll have that with me...Much as I like that stove I'm not going to give up one of my shovel head cylinders to make a foot out of one...**G**

chips&more

Active User
A pic of the stove and or foot. Maybe someone has a good foot…Dave

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Do you have the broken foot? I like chips&more’s question, but if you have the pieces, maybe braze it together? Just a guess.

One old Grumpy gator to another

Weldit

Swarf
Registered Member
I tigged the broken cast iron handle of an old bridgeport using 309L. Worked well and hasn't failed as of yet. Welding cast iron can be a crap shoot!
I know some have used aluminum bronze (er cual-a2) you can get it on ebay as well as amazon and of course you LWS.

cg285

o/a, flux and a cast iron rod works well

Joncooey

cg285 is right. Or, if it's a good casting you can do well with a MIG too. V grind it, pre-heat to 500 degrees or so, weld and wrap it or pack it in sand and let it cool slow.

[6]
[5] [7]