Casting , gears , handles and other parts

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Slowly gearing up for casting aluminum.

My question is what is a good alloy for casting the small threading/change gears, handles and such.

Casting ready to use gears is going to be tough. Typical sand casting would leave a rough surface and I’m not sure they would last long.

Lost PLA investment casting would probably get you the best results, but at that point you already have a usable gear that would give good service, and might outlast an aluminum gear.

Handles and such is where casting is going to pay off and for items like this, and your alloy does not matter that much until you get proficient.

If you are looking for scrap aluminum to use for casting, try to find items that were originally made as castings. I know it sounds overly simplistic. Stay away from cans,plate,and extrusions. Look for things like transmission cases and engine heads.

Yep,
Casting alloys usually have Silicon to enhance fluidity during the pour.

If you are looking for scrap aluminum to use for casting, try to find items that were originally made as castings. I know it sounds overly simplistic. Stay away from cans,plate,and extrusions. Look for things like transmission cases and engine heads.
I have plenty of cast auto parts
I was going to buy known alloy
Like Zamac ? Seems be strong and some what lower melt temp?

Pistons are the worst, they contain iron, used for prevention of sticking to steel molds, the iron narrows the solidification temperature range, so molds need to be poured extra hot to avoid short fills, and results in shrinkage defects. Scrap that has been sand cast is best for remelting and casting.

Pistons are the worst, they contain iron, used for prevention of sticking to steel molds, the iron narrows the solidification temperature range, so molds need to be poured extra hot to avoid short fills, and results in shrinkage defects. Scrap that has been sand cast is best for remelting and casting.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Back