CDCO DRO 2 Scale for a Lathe-Anyone?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've been pondering a DRO for my lathe.
Has anyone bought or used these digital read outs?
The price is $469 for glass scales.
I'm just hoping to get some input.
I have a DRO Pros on my mill and I am happy. They appear to be priced about the same.
Thanks,
Jeff

I prefer the LCD display readability as in the Ditron 80 and others. It also has a graphic display capability that looks interesting, apparently download some drawings...telling more than I know, now.

I have had excellent support from DROPros...and they're not too far away if something bad happens.

Precision Matthews sells the same units as DROPro's at better pricing. I have the DROPro version of this unit on my 1340 and like it. It has the necessary 1um resolution on the compound (many do not). DROPro wants $935 for the same config.

I have had excellent support from DROPros
Yeah, me too. I must admit, I haven't spent the time I need to fully understand the operation of many of the EL400 series functions.
The manual is very difficult.
I don't know why I am considering anyone else.
There are plenty to choose from. Most are very expensive however.

DROPro wants $935 for the same config.
Choke, cough, sputter
David,
That's an 8X40. Realistically I'm not sure what I need yet. I have a 15X50 lathe but I won't use all of it, right?
I need to measure movement.

Choke, cough, sputter
David,
That's an 8X40. Realistically I'm not sure what I need yet. I have a 15X50 lathe but I won't use all of it, right?
I need to measure movement.
Sorry, I didn't know your lathe size - just illustrating a price comparison. I would still recommend you check in with Matt at PM. He lists a 10x60, but my guess is he can get whatever you need. Glass scales sure make fitting it to your machine more complicated than maginetic you can cut to length.

Hey Jeff, I've thought about a DRO on my SB but came to the conclusion that I'm likely better served by a couple of indicators. Maybe a 2" travel digital on magback or mounted on a v-way holder for the Z and one on the cross slide.
My rationale is that I'm really only concerned about sneaking up on a measurement once I'm close to dimension. So if I'm going from 1" diameter to .875 rouging down to .9 is easy but the last bit is where I need help.
Same on the Z. Most recently I needed to cut a bunch of nylon spacers for the CNC plasma cutter. They needed to be .25" thick. I parted them off from a 2" long nylon tube but making them all .25" was a pain.

If CDCO is still selling SINO DROs, thay are reliable units but outdated IMO. I had a SINO & hated the display (I didn't get my kit from them CDCO though, got it cheaper from a different supplier). The UI & labeling is horrible, tool offset library access sucks, & being universal displays there are much better options available today. I'm still using their scales which have never gave me a problem but I replaced the display for a lathe specific DRO display without all the useless mill functions for my lathe pretty much right away.

Back