Center drill bit in a CNC mill as an endmill?

Lex_Peacekeeper

Registered
Registered
so back when I got my little CNC mill there was a video going around on using one of these
1688057350477.png
cheap center drill bits from harbor freight as an endmill and I am wondering if anyone has tried it?
I have these drill bits and have used them on tool steel and they worked so wondering if they are a
better option to use on brass then the cheap bits that came with my cnc mill?
Cropped bits.jpg
right one a 70d v carve bit came with the cnc mill the other is a two flute upcut bit that I got in a 10 set as a gift

Try it, seems like a good experiment. The worst that can happen is that you break the bit.

It'll probably cut. Most things with edges will. It will plunge and side cut, but will not bottom cut under travel without regrinding. But just as a twist drill can be ground as an end mill, it's not great because the flute geometry is wrong for cutting. Drill flutes are for chip evac, they're just bailout chutes. Mill flutes are cutting edges and are oriented to do so. Anything with a moving edge can start a cut, but the angles need to be right if you want good finish and a lasting tool.

With a little CNC mill and high RPM, you should really be considering D-bits.

I guess I should have given more info on what over all is being done, going to be doing deeper then
normal engraving into brass wax seal heads about 1.5-2mm deep at most and my cnc mill is one of these
CNC mill stock photo.jpg
I wont have a ton of the brass heads for testing so I want to make as few errors as I can

Last edited:
I guess I should have given more info on what over all is being done, going to be doing deeper then
normal engraving into brass wax seal heads about 1.5-2mm deep at most and my cnc mill is one of these
View attachment 452449
I wont have a ton of the brass heads for testing so I want to make as few errors as I can
The width of the drill cutting tip will be the critical point. Otherwise it should work fine

an update on the project this was for, the brass wax seal heads made it here >.> took forever, want to make some test bits out of wood or plastic to make sure I get the program going right (my cnc mill came with an odd ver of lightburn of all things for running its Gcode)
still need to figure out what end mill to use on it, will try the center drill bits on some test bits and see if they do alright there or if I need to try the other end mills I have
IMG_20230710_1836082372.jpgIMG_20230710_1857050452.jpg

Back