Central Machinery 17" Drill Press Support Column Replacement

Porchmonkey

Registered
Registered
While I was up on a 10' Step Ladder aligning a 12' garage door, The door shifted on the track and caused me to fall backwards. My fall was broke by the top section of my Harbor Freight 17" Drill Press. This caused the lower Support Column made of cast to break and down came the drill press and me on top!! I was wondering if anyone knew if there would be a place or on-line store that would have replacement parts? I already spoke with Harbor Freight and Central Machinery to acquire this but they responded by not being able offer this part to be purchased separate. This Drill Press is only about 10 Months old and used roughly 10-12 times, so in my best interest to repair or replace the part than to purchase a whole new drill press. Picture attached has the broken section circled in RED.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 124906.png

Hope you're ok!
Couldn't a new one be made with some pipe and a flange?
Yes...Absolutely. That would be my 2nd option and may still pursue that even if i can purchase this support. I work with a Drill Pipe Company and could probably find the appropriate size ID pipe and weld to a steel plate. I would like to try and find the OEM replacement before I open that box up though.

I had a few bruises but nothing major..Thank You for asking!!

a good welder can fix that up for you. Getting the cast to weld without warping/twisting/cracking will be the trick. An experienced welder will account for that.

Replacement would be my first choice though.....

a good welder can fix that up for you. Getting the cast to weld without warping/twisting/cracking will be the trick. An experienced welder will account for that.

Replacement would be my first choice though.....
Guess my Luck must be flowing today.. I had a rep from Central Mach. call me and had a take-off from one of their broken machines. He offered to ship from Cali. for the small price of $69. 1/4 way inside the tube of the support is a small bead that the inner tube sits on and does not allow it to protrude further than a few inches, along with set screws to keep from turning. This in my mind is a Horrible engineering flaw, making such a top heavy machine with a support made from thin cast and supported a few inches down inside that cast tube. I think I may still fabricate my own Support Bracket out of Grade A Steel from our Drill Pipe.

You might also want to check the tube too as it could have gotten bent in the fall.

True.... I didn't think of that. The main tube is beefier than the support, hopefully it isn't bent. There is a small taper on the inside of the support bracket tube as to catch the Rack for the pinion gear to ride up and down for the table as well.

Back