Central Machinery - HF 7" x 10" mini lathe jammed & quit working

Crimson Neck

Registered
Registered
I recently bought a floor model Central Machinery 7" x 10" mini lathe and was parting a piece of 3/4" tubing. When the cutter cut thru the wall it jammed the chuck and quit turning. I immediately hit the Off Button. Removed the damaged tubing and mounted another piece and the lathe would not run. I did check the fuse with an ohm meter and it is still good. Please advise and thank you for any and all advice.

Randy,
Thank you very much for the information.
I was able to test a few of the suggestions without any luck.
My electronic wiz-kid buddy with his fancy ohm meter owes me a few favors
so I am calling him now.
Thanks again Randy.
'preciate it!
Warren

Did you turn the speed control all of the way off and then back on?

Sorry about the short post. Really busy at work. As I remember, when you trip the overload, you have to turn the speed control all of the way to off (click) and back on. You can't just flip the toggle switch. Old memory, been five years since mine has seen power.

Randy is correct. If the yellow light is still on then the overload is tripped. Speed control needs to go back to zero click then the yellow light should turn off.

Don't know if this applies but some stop buttons need to be pulled back out to restore power after being pushed
-Mark

Did you turn the speed control all of the way off and then back on?
Randy is correct. If the yellow light is still on then the overload is tripped. Speed control needs to go back to zero click then the yellow light should turn off.
The yellow light stays on all the time no matter what adjustment including clicking the speed control knob to Zero (tried that) and tried clicking thru Zero all the way to Off. Is this the "Overload Reset" or is there another switch, knob or button to reset overload?
Randy,
Thank you for your double check/follow up suggestion.
I have tried all switches with speed control at Zero and Clicked off, all in multiple combinations.
I checked the motor brush. It looks almost brand new.

Maybe time to contact Pete:
www.olduhfguy.com
If your buddy is comfortable around line voltages he could do some tests to see if power is reaching the board- there may be a second fuse on the board or possibly the main bridge rectifier blew, depending on the design. Beyond that it's getting into oscilloscope territory, especially if it's a mosfet pwm type controller. Sending it in to Pete is a sure thing and not too costly
-M

Last edited:
I thought all central machinery jammed and quit working..........................

Back