[How do I?] Century ac motor wiring help???

kingreefer4200

Registered
Registered
so i have a old vntage emerson i believe single phase induction IMG_0121 (1).JPGmotor it diddnt come with a name plate atttached but ive been having trouble with this board on how it hooks up mainly where there main power supply wires from the wall hook to it heres some pics i can take more if anyone has ann idea IMG_0123.JPGIMG_0135.JPG

the board is the clutch it changes it from the starter coils to the primary coils and the black tube is a start capacitor because when it is made of plastic if it is metal it is most likely a run capacitor think of them as a battery that can pack a punch but only for a short time and takes a short time to charge even in seconds they can kill you so be careful:blowup:

The blue is coming from a thermal cutout so that could be one of them. The other might be the white. It would be good to see
the other side of the board also for comparison.
It looks like that green wire is carrying power which is bad practice but I've seen that before. Also looks like there are two sets of centrifugal switch contacts which is unusual
Needs a good cleaning for sure :)
-Mark

Last edited:
i would take a good look at the start capacitor, there appears to be water stains and rust present
rust can make a path to ground, that you don't want.

i concur with Mark in regards to the green wire being a load wire.

the centrifugal start switch looks to have been modified, or repaired with another switch contact bar.
the upper contact bar is different than the lower contact bar.
this doesn't mean the switch doesn't work.
i would be suspect and scrutinize the whole centrifugal start switch assembly

i would take a good look at the start capacitor, there appears to be water stains and rust present
rust can make a path to ground, that you don't want.

i concur with Mark in regards to the green wire being a load wire.

the centrifugal start switch looks to have been modified, or repaired with another switch contact bar.
the upper contact bar is different than the lower contact bar.
this doesn't mean the switch doesn't work.
i would be suspect and scrutinize the whole centrifugal start switch assembly
I am not sure those solder joints meet class 1 .................

Hard to tell if the centrifugal switch is factory or not- it's an odd one. I can't even guess how it's connected or why
Agree with Mike the cap looks like it fell overboard for a while LOL
My best guess is the blue and white wires for power-let us know what happens- be careful
-M

Back