Chain oil for cutting lube???

At my last job the lathes had flood coolant and we turned it down to a drip when close to chuck.

Thay should have something similar in the pluming department.

I will check on Thursday for tomorrow is workers day,a public holiday. So I think the shops will be closed. Thanks again.

My first lathe came with a few home tins of home made cutting oil , it used to separate when the ambient temp went above a certain point but always went back no normal if it was stirred. I think it was a lard oil or maybe bacon fat based cutting lube, it was pretty amazing. Someone hear (I think) had posted what people used to mix bacon grease with.

I have also used cheep vegetable oil mixed neat and with various things which worked fairly well. The only down side is that if left on the machine for a few days and not cleaned up immediately it turns into a substance that's as hard as epoxy (slight exaggeration) and is a pain to clean off.

Currently I'm using rigid brand tapping fluid which I got locally in a 5 liter container for quite low money, does smoke a bit but seems to be lasting very well. I have used a brand CT90 but that was quite a bit more expensive.

I was thinking of experimenting with the white (oil/water mix) coolant/lube mixed up and squirted on from a bottle or spray gun.

Stu

Back