Change gear alignment looks off to me, help

duffman1278

Registered
Registered
I'm putting back together my 11" logan lathe after I disassembled the entire thing. However when I put back my change gears I noticed that the alignment between the change gears and the QCGB gear is slightly off. Also, the between the change gear and the reverse gear assembly.

I attached some pictures of my current assembly with everything tightened down. You'll see in the pictures how off the gears are to each other. Is it fine the way I have it or did I mess something up on the installation?

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2889.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
    506.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 29
Is it possible that you positioned the headstock too far to the left?

Is it possible that you positioned the headstock too far to the left?
I think your right about that, but that only addresses the alignment between the reverse gear assembly and the change gear. The gear box pulley and change gear would still be out a little bit.

The banjo bracket is also attached to the headstock, that could effect other gear alignments.

The banjo bracket is also attached to the headstock, that could effect other gear alignments.
The banjo bracket on mine is attached to the quick change gear box, not the headstock. See the picture attached in this comment.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
But is it secured to the headstock by a bolt in a curved slot on the other end?

I think you're worrying about a non-issue. I expect that to put enough load on those gears to cause a problem your motor would stall long before the gears failed. The others may be right about the cause, but I'd run it till it dropped.

Edit: correct typo

Last edited:
Back