Changed the coolant/cutting fluid in my saw- PITA

We use some sort of Cimcool product, I will have to check which one. We also put a small pump to keep the coolant aerated. Keeps the stink down and conditioner helps as well.
Pierre

Unless you're in a production situation and have to cut a LOT of material, coolant is a huge mess to have to deal with. You could just use a wax stick lubricant and avoid all that mess and chemistry, Jeff.

Unless you're in a production situation and have to cut a LOT of material, coolant is a huge mess to have to deal with. You could just use a wax stick lubricant and avoid all that mess and chemistry, Jeff.
I am interested in this. Do you have a preference on brand, etc.?

I am interested in this. Do you have a preference on brand, etc.?

Sure. Here is one of many. They're all pretty much the same - search for "wax stick lubricant".

This stuff works well for bandsaws, belt sanders, drilling, tapping or anywhere you don't want a fluid mess in a cutting or grinding operation. I've been using it for many years on my 5X7 bandsaw and it works really well.

I tried the wax stick, in fact I use it on the 14" delta vertical metal/wood saw.
For aluminum, the wax does not work for me. Aluminum welds itself to the blade. (WD-40 is amazing for aluminum in my experience)
When I use flood coolant, everything stays cool, the saw is made to use it. If I add a drain hole to the tank, it won't be nearly such a big deal.
Like Mikey says, "here is one of many" there are dozens of choices.
Since I have a gallon of the synthetis, I'm gonna give it a shot. It's says specifically good for grinding. I just changed my SG coolant.
I'll report on the Rustlick synthetic when I switch out the rservoir.
Thanks for the help and all the information!!
I appreciate it.

Odd. I've never had a problem when cutting aluminum with stick wax. Hmm ...

Children, step aside and I'll share a story.

You know nothing about coolant reservoirs until you've bought an old lathe where the sump was probably never cleaned in 40 years. The best analogy is like being handed some rubber gloves and a pile of paper towels, and being told to clean out a Porta-Potty. Okay, maybe not quite that gross literally, because the smell wasn't as bad, but everything else, including the color and consistency of the contents, did match the analogy. My work here is done.

You know nothing about coolant reservoirs until you've bought an old lathe where the sump was probably never cleaned in 40 years. The best analogy is like being handed some rubber gloves and a pile of paper towels, and being told to clean out a Porta-Potty. Okay, maybe not quite that gross literally, because the smell wasn't as bad, but everything else, including the color and consistency of the contents, did match the analogy. My work here is done.

I can relate... my Cincinnati horizontal mill was made in 1947.... I'm sure the 'oil' in the coolant tank (cast into the machine base) was put in there when the machine was new... and never changed. Most of it had the consistency of swamp mud, but the bottom inch or so was solidified into something resembling outhouse waste.

I managed to clean most of it out.

-Bear

Hmm,
I should check inside the casting in my Sharp TMV milling machine. There is a screen in the base to catch oil/coolant. There is a drain plug on the side. It would be interesting to see what drains out.

Speaking of which I’ve actually had to do the porta potty thing but no paper towels and the gloves were trash bags or whatever you could find. I couldn’t believe it after we did it the first time but then it happened again. I stayed out of it mostly because I just dug holes especially after the first incident.

I remember the look on one guys face and he pulled his hand out and realize the trash bag leaked and he had mystery blue water all over his hand/arm.

I’ll take a cnc sump anyway. Some are pretty bad and they still got chuck’s typically but it’s a mental thing for me

Back