Chatter & the Tormach

Well, no Video. I'll probably be trying this one again tonight with a HSS 3/8" 3 flute EM. If this looks OK, I'll shoot a video of this one. It's coming around, and the suggestions here have been helpful.

I also took a quick look at the feeds and speeds spreadsheet, but didn't really see how it worked. Seems that the formulas in the answer spots are empty. I'll look at this in more depth again.

Eric

Eric,
Just in case you have not seen this guy on YouTube check him out.
He uses a Tormach and is pretty descriptive on what he is doing so it's easy to pick out the details of things that may be of interest to you.

I'm not sure if linking is permissible and I don't want to ruffle any feathers, just go to YouTube and search for NYC CNC.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Yes, I'm very familiar with this series. I've been through the entire set a couple times. Thanks for the reference, though...

I've made a ton of progress, over the last couple evenings. I've tried some of my better bits in the Tormach with fantastic results. The short stick-out really helps a lot. I was trying a 3/8" International Minicut last night. It rips through the aluminum at a really good rate. I was conservatively cutting at about 0.100 DOC, 20IPM, 5000RPM and 40% step-over. It was eating this up with no problem at all. I probably could have doubled the feed. The finish is not as good as I'd like. But the Minicut bit is a rougher.

I'm starting to get a feel for what seems to work. I want to try my 4 flute finisher again, and see if it works better on some of these new settings, but for finishing, not hogging material.

Thanks to all for the tips and info. I'm definitely making progress.

Eric

That's good news Eric,
It takes time to learn ones equipment and for us Hobby guys that aren't at it day after day it takes a bunch longer. On of the things to look our for on smaller lower power machines like ours is at high RPM motor torque drops significantly and while the servo's can still push the table at max rate it can just bog down the motor if you get too aggressive.
Four flute on Aluminum works well as a finisher or on some of the tougher aluminum alloys for general non aggressive use.

When you get some cash ahead I'd sure invest in a good machining calculator, I use MEPro and HSMAdvisor both are very helpful and both seem to have their strong suit, also both developers are great guys and very attenative to input and any issues. HSMAdvisor has a online free version that is very useful for day to day use kust not all functions are fully implemented.

I machined two swivel components for the cyclick control on a helicopter I am building, got them done (to the first stage) and they turned out excellent but sure nothing I was proud of with regard to tool path efficiency, was terrible, I just got tired of trying to program the perfect tool-path and wanted to make my mill messy :D

I'd been away from it for some time ai it showed.

Ken

I've been looking at the different options for speeds and feeds, including the spreadsheet listed earlier in the thread. I can see the value, I just didn't have much confidence in them. But after my last run with the 3/8 rougher, I plugged-in my experimental numbers and found that they do indeed match the ones calculated. I guess I just needed to prove that to myself.

Helicopter parts. Humm, interesting. I have had an interest in all man-made flying things, since I was a kid. My oldest daughter is studying Aerospace Engineering. I'd be very interested in seeing photos of what you're working on.

Eric

Since it's quicker then taking a picture here is a screen shot of the assembly, the part being machined now is the blue section. When I get that done I'll take a pic and show you installed (temp) on the frame.

Be sure and tell you're daughter that one requirement of an aerospace engineer is to offer free advice to those on HM, I don't think she will fall for it but it's worth a try. :)

Cyclic.jpg

Ah, very interesting unit. So what heli are you building?

I'm sure my daughter would have no problem offering advice to HSM'ers. My other daughter is studying EE, so between the 3 of us, we should have most everything covered (ME, EE & Aero).

Thanks for sharing the screen shot.

Eric

ME, EE, Aero, wow, I'd definitely be building something cool.

What I am doing is not professionally engineered but it is designed with a great deal of thought and research.

This Helicopter design is old, actually, I had built one around 1971. While basically the same design this build is refining lots of areas that were, well, just too home built for my taste, that is not to say they did not function as needed because they did and the design allowed for the kit builder not to be required to machine components. It was called a Commuter II. It was the basis for the current manufacturer of the Safari Helicopter kit.

You have plans for building something, big or small now that you have you're Tormach?

Ken

Ken

The helos look like mini bells. At 133k for the full kit it is out of my price range. Soloed a Hughs 300 back in 1980. Would rather fly rotor than fixed wing.

Dave

Ken

The helos look like mini bells. At 133k for the full kit it is out of my price range. Soloed a Hughs 300 back in 1980. Would rather fly rotor than fixed wing.

Dave

They are way out of my price range as well Dave, that's why I am building :)
Helicopters are flat out fun, nothing can compare to the flight freedom in them.

Back