Cheap Dro's From China

BUT, it uses the iGauging readers, which go into an Arduino controller and then bluetooth to a Tablet...so while it has added features and upgradability, it's a bit hokey in comparison to the DRO's suggested above. The iGauging readers have some issue too, but these two links are quite helpful:
http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/07/reliability-issues-with-igaging-digital.html#more
http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/07/three-ways-to-make-igaging-dro-scales.html

-Dave
I don't think hokey as a good word to describe the project. IGuaging scales are OK but some people just seem to not be able to get them right. I have no complaint out of mine however I can buy glass scales without the read head unit for the same money or maybe even a buck or two less. The Touch DRO project is outstanding. I run the bata version that we report bugs back & even on bata it is outstanding. He puts out the cleanest bata versions I have ever seen. Glass scales can be used with the msp430 from TI. They are working on getting glass scales working with Arduino also but there is some hardware issues with the Arduino. The Launchpads only cost $15 the last time I checked or you can get the stand alone chip for about 40 cents. It cost about $30 to build the whole reader.

I-gauging stuff sold on Ebay and discovered that the inaccuracy got exponentially worse per inch of travel. Just shows that there are no fast/easy/cheap solutions.
I'd guess you need to adjust your mounting. If they are not exactly parallel this will happen. I have mine slightly off also but using Yurri's app I'm able to adjust for this.

OP
I'd suggest you contact the company I posted info for in the other thread. She is very customer friendly. I got the tracking info on mine today & a call from FedEx so I know they are in the air.

Last edited:
I don't think hokey as a good word to describe the project. IGuaging scales are OK but some people just seem to not be able to get them right. I have no complaint out of mine however I can buy glass scales without the read head unit for the same money or maybe even a buck or two less. The Touch DRO project is outstanding. I run the bata version that we report bugs back & even on bata it is outstanding. He puts out the cleanest bata versions I have ever seen. Glass scales can be used with the msp430 from TI. They are working on getting glass scales working with Arduino also but there is some hardware issues with the Arduino. The Launchpads only cost $15 the last time I checked or you can get the stand alone chip for about 40 cents. It cost about $30 to build the whole reader.

I'd guess you need to adjust your mounting. If they are not exactly parallel this will happen. I have mine slightly off also but using Yurri's app I'm able to adjust for this.

OP
I'd suggest you contact the company I posted info for in the other thread. She is very customer friendly. I got the tracking info on mine today & a call from FedEx so I know they are in the air.

I shouldn't have used "exponentially" in the description. There is a thread here on it where I charted out the inaccuracies. accuracy was decent within each inch but way out over a length of travel. I was told I should have bought the "absolute" version of the brand instead of the "inaccurate" version. :rolleyes:

I have the old version & the longest I was able to measure to check accuracy was 6" & mine are spot on to the thousandth which is also as accurate as I could measure. Repeatability was 100%.

I haven't started on a DRO project yet. A while back I contacted Yuri about some Chinese glass quatrature scales someone mentioned on this forum that run about 60.00 each cut to custom length. Yuri said they should work.

Is that $60 to your door or they cost &60 for the scales before all the other charges? Mine were going to be $60 for 5um scales but I went with the 1um & took the price of all my scales from 130mm all the way up to 1000mm added the shipping & bank fees up which averaged about $80 a scale. From the research I did they seem to be the top of the line.

I have installed the aliexpress dro 3 axis for $287 no problems so far about 4mo. old.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free...cales/1524501216.html?src=ibdm_d03p0558e02r02
I purchased it after someone else had a good experience, although he purchased a more expensive model.

I am in the process of buying a lathe DRO from the same supplier and this guy is great. I asked for a slim scale for my cross slide and said I'd be willing to pay more for the one slim scale, and the other one regular size. He said there is no extra charge for the slim scale.

He gets back to me in minutes and I can actually understand his emails.

I had a not so good experience with another supplier on Aliexpress.

I am in the process of buying a lathe DRO from the same supplier and this guy is great. I asked for a slim scale for my cross slide and said I'd be willing to pay more for the one slim scale, and the other one regular size. He said there is no extra charge for the slim scale.

He gets back to me in minutes and I can actually understand his emails.

I had a not so good experience with another supplier on Aliexpress.
How much, what resolution, & what company are you working with this time?

+1 on the seller Ed ke6bnl & Alloy mentioned above. However, I bought the more expensive Easson brand, the same unit as Dro Pros sells for twice the price. So far, I have installed the X axis which works great and about halfway through installing the Y (my shop time is very limited these days). The DRO is high quality and has a cast aluminum enclosure, the scales are also well made and have no signs of crappyness. The instruction manual is clearly written. Dealing with Aliexpress and the seller was smooth and easy. Shipping was fast, I received the unit in only 7 days. All in all, I am very satisfied.
Hers a link to the store:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1021179?spm=2114.10010108.0.35.i1HFQY

Back