Cheap End Mills

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I stumbled across this assortment of end mills a few days ago. Scarcely believing my eyes (or the ad), but willing to gamble, I ordered them.
I mean really, 6 end mills for $16 delivered, what could possibly go wrong?

1662319813352.png

They arrived yesterday.
20220903_145319.jpg20220903_145759.jpg

First, they are not carbide (I knew they weren't, it says HSS in the text of the listing) and there is no 5/8", it's a 3/8".

On checking them out, they are literally ±.002 for size.
They are 4-flute, not center cutting.
They do cut steel, at least the 1/4" I tried did. It cut smoothly and left a nice finish.
No clue or claims as to how they might hold up.

YMMV

I tried some similar a while ago, they were HSS butt welded to soft shanks.

I tried some similar a while ago, they were HSS butt welded to soft shanks.
can you weld HSS? I thought it didn't weld well.
So what was your opinion?
Was your similar set worth it?

Last edited:
They were made the same as HSS drills, with a soft shank. I only used one for a counterbore, the rest are still in their boxes unlikely to be used. The finish on the cutting edges was rough.

can you weld HSS? I thought it didn't weld well.
That is how HSS drills are made, friction welded I believe. It's hard to grip a HSS shank, and HSS is expensive, so money is saved by not using it for the shank where it's not needed.

I have a few of those- they are very brittle (I fractured one by accident) but ok in the smaller sizes

I bought a few a while back. They're ok for roughing and using on nasty materials as they're literally throw away cutters, but they produced pretty poor finishes in any material.

That is how HSS drills are made, friction welded I believe. It's hard to grip a HSS shank, and HSS is expensive, so money is saved by not using it for the shank where it's not needed.

All the drills (about 20) that I checked spark tested as HSS with one exception. A 1/4" drill tested as high carbon on both the shank and the business end. I checked drills from the 1970's as well as more current and diy vs. name brands.

All the drills (about 20) that I checked spark tested as HSS with one exception. A 1/4" drill tested as high carbon on both the shank and the business end. I checked drills from the 1970's as well as more current and diy vs. name brands.
I believe that if a drill shank can be damaged when spun in the chuck, it's not HSS.
I have turned down the shanks on a set of U.S. made drills to use in a 3/8 drill, they were not particularly hard.

I hit the shank on a couple of these end mills with a file. They're hard, but can be cut.

M2 HSS has an annealed hardness of around 23 Rc. Hardened and tempered at 1400ºF, the hardness will be around 34 Rc and at 1200ºF, the hardness is 53 Rc. I have spark tested some drills with damaged shanks and they test as HSS.

Back