Cheap Import Tilting Table - Worth its weight in...?

It's all about what your work envelope is. It's funny that this thread happened right when I was using mine for the second time. Mine is a 5x7 and that's all my RF30 could fit I'm pretty sure. And so far it's done what I needed. I was finishing up making a mount for a big air cylinder. I had to do a couple of 45deg relief clearance cuts. Getting the proper clamp set made all the difference.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
I attached a round aluminum rod to a steel plate to do larger angle cuts. Just clamp in the vise and support the other end with a machinists jack. It’s a rough item to put to use but as seldom as I need it, it works okay.
That said I just recently got an angle vise. It’s a Wen branded tilting vise. Not super heavy duty but I’m impressed with the fit and finish for such a cheap vise. Really really nice for 40.00
WEN 433TV 3.25-Inch Industrial Strength Benchtop and Drill Press Tilting Angle Vise

BBE68E5B-ACD1-471A-85FE-09B7256B7325.png

Last edited:
A great alternative is making yourself a tilting plate that mounts in your vise. I had wanted a tilting table for the longest time but after making the plate I don't see a need for the table. Like said it will takeaway a lot of vertical travel which I didn't like. Easy to build and just as versatile
View attachment 313655View attachment 313655View attachment 313657

I really like this idea, as well, and I checked out oxtoolco on youtube's video about it. Considering this as well

Last edited:
A great alternative is making yourself a tilting plate that mounts in your vise. I had wanted a tilting table for the longest time but after making the plate I don't see a need for the table. Like said it will takeaway a lot of vertical travel which I didn't like. Easy to build and just as versatile
View attachment 313655View attachment 313655View attachment 313657
I need to look at Tom's tilt plate like that. My problem is material here. I was looking through eBay and except for the price this is an interesting tilt table sold by Grizzly. But $315.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 28
I need to look at Tom's tilt plate like that. My problem is material here. I was looking through eBay and except for the price this is an interesting tilt table sold by Grizzly. But $315.
That actually looks really interesting. On Grizzly's website they're selling it for $295 (pre tax and shipping of course). It is more expensive, but not outlandishly so and it's low profile is a major plus. Adding this to the decision pile.

That actually looks really interesting. On Grizzly's website they're selling it for $295 (pre tax and shipping of course). It is more expensive, but not outlandishly so and it's low profile is a major plus. Adding this to the decision pile.
My question is how many times would you do an angle less than 45? Because at 45 notice my little 5x7 the bottom of the angle is touching the mill table, so if I was using a plate like Cadillac it would have the same clearance. I think at 45 the Grizzly table would have the same vertical clearance. I do like the fact the Grizzly table can be mounted horizontally or vertically.

After mounting and getting to know my cheapo angle table i found it to be super sturdy once locked and was bolted down. I was not trying for precise 45 and checking it after the fact it was a deg or two off but seems easy to set up parallel to the X axis of the mill table. I should have seen how precise I can set it up like on my surface plate and then see how it came out. Not trying to muddy the waters but being a noob it's hard to make a choice without experience.

Back