Cheating To Make Small Knobs

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I need to make some small knobs for my band saw so I am trying to come up with a plan to keep it simple.My first thought was to take some 5/16 bolts 1" long and turn the heads round then apply some knurling.But after turning the head round it will be just to small.So my next ideal is to purchase some all thread rod and just cut several pieces 1" length.Next would take some round 5/8 rod do the knurling then drill tap a blind hole,just cut each knob to length and start over with the drill/tap.I would take the 1" length threaded rod and screw it into the knurl knob.Now my problem is,should I use epoxy or lock tight to keep the all thread from coming unscrewed from the knob.The knob setup is just to keep the another part from coming loose,such as the thrust bearing so its not going to be wrench tight but hand tight.McMaster-Carr does make these knobs at 11.00 ea but that's no fun.Here's a link to what I want to make
93585a190p1-b01l.png

Why not turn the shaft to size, knurl, cut of, then use a die to form the threads? I'm assuming you don't want to cut threads on your lathe is why your using all thread.

The threaded rod into a blind hole will work and look fine. I made some vents for a fuel injection unit the same way and used red locktite to make it permanent.DSC_1109.JPG

Last edited:
Now my problem is,should I use epoxy or lock tight to keep the all thread from coming unscrewed from the knob.The knob setup is just to keep the another part from coming loose,such as the thrust bearing so its not going to be wrench tight but hand tight.McMaster-Carr does make these knobs at 11.00 ea but that's no fun.Here's a link to what I want to make
93585a190p1-b01l.png

If you make them as you describe, the red (262) Loctite or Super glue will give you a virtually unbreakable bond. I have the fasteners break while not breaking the bond.

I made some identical to your drawing, but instead if drilling and tapping the Knob, I drilled through and TIG welded the rod to the knob. They are still in service and working great after about 10 years.

Steve t

I would chuck up the 5/8 rod sticking far enough for the part and room for a cut off tool when done. Then machine the thread area to size. Add threads by single point or die.
Knurl the knob area and finally use the cut off tool to add the grooving at the ends of the knurling, then proceed to cut off. That way it is all concentric and all in one piece.

Guys thanks for all the ideals and links.I think that I will try different ideals as posted and see how it goes for me.One day I do want to make these using just one piece of steel,single point threading.But for now I will have to cheat just a little-----Thanks kroll

Another approach using all thread is to knurl the head, tap it (through or blind) and silver solder the two pieces together === Jack

I have made similar fasteners by drilling a blind hole then tapping and inserting a setscrew the proper length. Quick and easy and looks like one piece from a distance.

Back