Check out this Burke 22 drill press

cellarshop

Registered
Registered
I bought this (and some rather antique hand tools) from a barn on Sunday. I’ve scoured the Internet, and can’t find this configuration. Anyone out there ever seen one like this? Pulleys are steel - not aluminum (except the one at the base). The one on the top of the quill is machined to fit it - this wasn’t an after-market you-do-it...

I did a quick exercise to free up the spindle and quill - all turns / moves fine now. Table is free of imperfections - no arc of shame here!!!

A couple questions:

• Does anyone have an idea on motoring this? I have a bunch of 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 hp 1725rpm motors. Should I build an L-shaped motor bracket to hold the motor and the press? 3/4” plywood acceptable with reinforcement? Is there a “vertical mount” motor i should look for which would mount directly to a base?
  • I love the coil spring return - the feeling is TOTALLY different than a wound spring - it gets more and more resistive:) ...
Any ideas or feedback welcomed!!! Thinking it would be a cool restore project!!!

- Paul

Attachments

• 3F6CC189-8C08-4B32-8203-DD96280EF29C.jpeg
    3F6CC189-8C08-4B32-8203-DD96280EF29C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • BBC9B05A-027E-4670-8568-5243D218D544.jpeg
    BBC9B05A-027E-4670-8568-5243D218D544.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
I bought this (and some rather antique hand tools) from a barn on Sunday. I’ve scoured the Internet, and can’t find this configuration. Anyone out there ever seen one like this? Pulleys are steel - not aluminum (except the one at the base). The one on the top of the quill is machined to fit it - this wasn’t an after-market you-do-it...

I did a quick exercise to free up the spindle and quill - all turns / moves fine now. Table is free of imperfections - no arc of shame here!!!

A couple questions:

• Does anyone have an idea on motoring this? I have a bunch of 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 hp 1725rpm motors. Should I build an L-shaped motor bracket to hold the motor and the press? 3/4” plywood acceptable with reinforcement? Is there a “vertical mount” motor i should look for which would mount directly to a base?
  • I love the coil spring return - the feeling is TOTALLY different than a wound spring - it gets more and more resistive:) ...
Any ideas or feedback welcomed!!! Thinking it would be a cool restore project!!!

- Paul
I had one that was similar but the frame was cracked. I welded it amd used it until I gave it to a friend. An OSHA inspector would have a stroke! Mine was small and I ran it from a 1/2 HP 1750 which was just fine. I selected my motor based on availability. If you could find a really old, open cast iron motor that looked the part, that would be good for "extra points"

If you search for "camel-back" drill press you'll find lots of info on similar machines.
If you bolt a base plate under the drill press you should be able to fabricate some sort of mount
for it. That looks like a good machine: it should be worth the effort. Nice find.

Forget the motor! That needs to be belted into your line shaft and driven by a water. VERY cool drillpress!

Back