Chevalier milling machine ?

70sum

Registered
Registered
I purchased a used chevalier milling machine and have it running with a vfd. It is a variable speed machine. I use the mechincal variable speed to change speeds. When I run it in low speed the spindle turns in the correct direction with the switch in forward. When I shift to the high speed with the lever, the spindle turns in reverse with the switch in forward. When I change to reverse on the switch, the spindle rotates correctly. The motor is not changing direction when the hi/low lever is moved. The switch changes the motor direction. I have run Bridgeport and other off brands and I do not remember having to change the switch position for correct rotation. Of course at 71 and not having run a mill in a few years, I might be remembering wrong.

Attachments

• EXGN9683.JPG
    EXGN9683.JPG
    511.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 19
That's how they work Bruce . That is correct . :encourage:

Traditional mills do not reverse the motor direction when engaging the bach gears (low range). However, some newer machines that are equipped with a VFD do change direction. Those machines have an external switch that is activated by the back gear lever. The switch is connected to one of the inputs on the VFD, which causes the VFD to reverse the motor direction.

It also sounds like the motor is wired backwards. If it matters to you, the standard is that the spindle rotates the correct direction in FWD and high range. You can switch motor direction in two ways - reprogram the VFD, or swap any two of the wires between the VFD and mill.

The mechanical speed change is achieved by engaging or disengaging a back gear. The motor runs at the same speed and the same direction. The back gear when engaged for low speed runs the spindle in the opposite direction of the high speed when it’s disengaged.

The Encos in at work are the same as the Chevaliers . High/low reverses spindle rotation .

What have you made Bruce ? I have to run up to Delta for un-ethanol gas and might stop by later .

I purchased a used chevalier milling machine and have it running with a vfd. It is a variable speed machine. I use the mechincal variable speed to change speeds. When I run it in low speed the spindle turns in the correct direction with the switch in forward. When I shift to the high speed with the lever, the spindle turns in reverse with the switch in forward. When I change to reverse on the switch, the spindle rotates correctly. The motor is not changing direction when the hi/low lever is moved. The switch changes the motor direction. I have run Bridgeport and other off brands and I do not remember having to change the switch position for correct rotation. Of course at 71 and not having run a mill in a few years, I might be remembering wrong.
My only concern with slowing the drive motor down using a VFD has to do with the cooling fan operation.
Ever an issue?

Thanks guys. My memory is not what it once was. Dave I will be home, stop by. I have material ordered for some parts for the car I am working on.

Back