Chinese leather "patcher" Sewing Machine

great white

Active User
Registered
In my other sewing machine thread, I mentioned the cheap Chinese leather patcher to do thick leather projects. here's a sample picture of one:

H860f68cc78314cdba5df524742e327cak.png

Like all things chinese, it's pretty raw as delivered. No bearings, no bushings, threaded rod as pivots, sheetmetal bits and assorted “questionable” assembly. Not to mention dirt, casting sand and any number of ill fitting parts.

I suggested one to someone in my other thread who wanted to make holsters and it was derided as needing a lot of work and fettling to even make it work half decent.

But, I woukd say it looks "useable", perhaps with a little setup work:

Now, I don't have a lot of need for something that will "cobble". I generally don't work with leather that thick. But for 150 bucks, it wouldn't hurt to have the capability when I do need it. Not to mention, its basically a really long “free arm” design. Meaning, its great for sewing patches on the sleeves of arms, mending bags deep down inside a pocket and so on.

But I'm also a tinkerer, like most of us here. I figured I'd get one and then do a bit of work adding bushings and bearings where needed to smooth it out some, with a good bit of fitting and polishing where needed.

Then I saw this:

Oh yes please! That gent basically took the base (junky) machine and used most of the parts as "templates". He then refined the machine to a point where it's nearly art.

So when it gets here, I'll pu tit together and try it out Then, like the gent in the vids, I'll take it apart and start machining my new parts. Looking forward to adding some nice brass components to it to give it that "turn of the century" steam engine look.

Great, another project to toss on the already too large pile.....lol!

Last edited:
I found there were plenty of videos on tuning these machines when I got mine. Like many off-shore products, it helps to consider them as a kit. Some filing and machining required to put it together.

One advantage to these things is that, once you insert the free-arm into something - a shoe or a tight sleeve, you can sew in any direction you need by aiming the pressure foot as required. Came in handy fixing my favourite cycling shoes.

Interesting machine ! I watched a few videos , looks handy . Would it be able to sew something like those cheap nylon ratchet binders and other types of strapping ? Adding straps to covers . I’ve had used my Kenmore for making different attaching ends for around the house but it really struggled.

Interesting machine ! I watched a few videos , looks handy . Would it be able to sew something like those cheap nylon ratchet binders and other types of strapping ? Adding straps to covers . I’ve had used my Kenmore for making different attaching ends for around the house but it really struggled.
The original design is turn of the century and intended as a cobblers (IE: boots, shoes, etc) machine. Should have no problem with thngs that are woven, like straps, canvas, etc.

Then I saw this:

Oh yes please! That gent basically took the base (junky) machine and used most of the parts as "templates". He then refined the machine to a point where it's nearly art.

So when it gets here, I'll pu tit together and try it out Then, like the gent in the vids, I'll take it apart and start machining my new parts. Looking forward to adding some nice brass components to it to give it that "turn of the century" steam engine look.

Great, another project to toss on the already too large pile.....lol!

I have had those videos bookmarked since I first saw them... What he made was pure work of art. For me... as much as I like a challenge... I will leave mine as is... lol...

More parts for the patcher:

servo-drive-motor-m100-1.2.jpg

Servo motor for nice slow speed punching power instead of hand cranking. Will still have the hand crank, but a servo motor just makes it soooo much easier to use.

Settled on a stand build as well:

323288801_1062558988472475_6547428654024569150_n.jpg

323399563_546936580806789_4177471524711773107_n.jpg

I've got plenty of 1/4" flat plate lying around and the plasma cutter will cut that out "lickety split".

I have had those videos bookmarked since I first saw them... What he made was pure work of art. For me... as much as I like a challenge... I will leave mine as is... lol...
It's a great opportunity to refine your machining skills though. Not to mention, the parts he made can be built off the machine and changed out as you finish them so the sewing machine really doesn't have any "downtime".

That stand is a work of art . Tell me you have a CNC plasma cutter and you didn’t free hand it

That stand is a work of art . Tell me you have a CNC plasma cutter and you didn’t free hand it
Not my build, pic is from someone else's facebook post.

I just have a manual plasma cutter. I'll rough cut it out and then clean it up on the mill.

Freehand wouldn't be that hard though. Drill out the corners and use a straight edge to cut the area between them. Then a light clean up (plasma always leaves a fair bit of slag) and bob's your uncle....

Last edited:
Or make a guide out of wood for cutting the metal…

Back