Chinese tap and dies?....

I have some HSS round dies from China, and they're quite good. I use them in a Hemingway tailstock die holder for power threading. It's fast and reliable with nice looking threads.

What's my point? I suppose YMMV.

Thanks, guys, I was mostly interested in the 1/2 -8 die, for work working threads, but I don't know if the die is normal threads (as illustrated) or acme as mentioned. End of that search.
I have bought a few sets of standard taps from Horror Freight which work okay; but, I have several Acme taps and 1 die and those have domestic and European roots, odd threads are worth the money for good quality for me. I paid 50 to 100 bucks for those.

I'm interested in a set of Acme tap and dies from China,

1set ACME 1/2-8 right-hand high quality trapezoidal HSS thread tap & die TR1/2×8

The illustaration shows an acme tap and a regular 60 deg die. All / both for about $36.00 including shipping.

Does anyone here have any GOOD words about these, I'm quite hesitant, but they are all I can find in 1/2" 8 diameter pitch.
Are you certain it isn't metric?
I try my best to avoid buying any tooling that comes from China...
I cut my first acme threads in 50 years recently.
External of course.
5/8-12. It was a fun project.

Attachments

• 2023-04-06_05_14_25.jpg
    2023-04-06_05_14_25.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 8
The project - to make wooden screws for wooden clamps. I have a 1/2 - 8 tap, 60 deg threads.

I have a router driven machine that will cut 60 degree 1/2-8 threads, but the nature of the beast leaves 1.25 inches of unturned shank.

I was hoping to get a die to cut most of that unturned shank. The Acme tap is not needed. The ad, and the illustration leave me uninformed as to the threads in the die.

Thanks for all the comments. Once I have the wooden rod threaded, I can glue a sleeve on the shank at any length.

Back