Chip shield for 1228

That's what kids are for! :D

Unfortunately I don't have kids. :frown:

I have for my Sherline, but I didn't really like it so took it off.

Don't have one on my larger lathes, but turning cast iron is the only time I've wanted one. John gave me a tip of just putting a chip brush behind the cutting tool when you have something throwing chips. It deflects most of the chips downward, and these brushes are only $1-3 at most hardware stores depending on size so a super cheap fix. I just hold it with my free hand but I'm sure a simple way of attaching it to the tool post could be figured out.

These things, they come in sizes from 1/2" to around 4".

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-Flat-Chip-Brush-1500-2/100626098

Do you have a splash guard or whatever that is called on the backside of the lathe? I've found that is the direction most fluids end up going.

I also set up a shower curtain in front of the lathe (behind where I stand obviously) and that does a good job of catching stuff too. A nice heavy commercial version, I think it is 10 mil vinyl or similar plastic. It cost about $20 so again not expensive.

I can;t take credit for the idea one of the posters uses one and I took the idea to use myself.

Yes I have the backside splash guard. 4 hrs on the machine cleaning, another couple of hrs vacuuming, and trying to get all of the clutch dust on the ground. Thanks for the ideas....

Sounds like you should just offer to pay shipping from someone who took theirs off ;)

John

If it sticks out over the jaws, that's an idea. I'm in hot water from the clutches, there is blackness creeping into the house. I may have to repeat the vacuuming....

Back