Choosing a VFD for SB 9A

Seth

Registered
Registered
Looking for a recommendation for a VFD, I have a 1966 SB 9A with a 1/2 hp 230/460 3 phase motor. 1725 rpm. I’ve been staring at VFD specs all day and cannot make a decision. I have 220v under 3‘ from the lathe.

I don’t care if it’s $100 or $300. I want it to work well, install cleanly and be easy to setup. I was planning on using the existing rotary switch through the vfd. Thank you for your help!

Current front runner
KBAC-24D Hybrid AC Drive
Digital Drive with Analog Interface

I have used the KBAC-24D, pretty minimal VFD. I would suggest saving some $ and using something like a Teco L-510 1 Hp model, they run about $150. Lots of videos on how to set them up. If you needed quicker stopping (which I assume you do not need if you have a threaded chuck) then I would suggest the Teco E-510 which you can use an external braking a resistor. If you have any questions on how to program or set them up I can help you.

Is this the one you suggest?

I use the existing rotary switch through the vfd and then add a brake resistor and that’s that?

I have used the KBAC-24D, pretty minimal VFD. I would suggest saving some $ and using something like a Teco L-510 1 Hp model, they run about $150. Lots of videos on how to set them up. If you needed quicker stopping (which I assume you do not need if you have a threaded chuck) then I would suggest the Teco E-510 which you can use an external braking a resistor. If you have any questions on how to program or set them up I can help you.

Yes, that is the correct for the L-510 version. I assume you are just interested in running 3 phase with variable speed. The L-510 has 4 inputs that can be configured, you need two for the forward/reverse commands, maybe input 3 for jog forward if desired, a 4th one could be used to change braking speed. You run out of outputs if you wanted a reverse jog and few other programmable functions, but for the basics it works well and their manuals are readable. They will also offer better low speed control than the KB and more configurable to your motor. E-510 would be if you needed more inputs and/or faster braking with an external braking resistor which is not supported with the L-510.

Cheap ones will work but @mksj knows the details that might become important down the line. I have a Teco on my Seneca Falls lathe and do not regret paying a little more for it.

John

i use expensive drives at work, but i lean to the very inexpensive drives for home use.
after 5 years of torture testing with cheap VFD's i have not had a single failure.
you can spend more but i don't see the point

The cheap VFD's either work or do not work, and typically fail early on. Also, I have had quite a few circumstances where the cheap VFD's did not perform well, either because of limited motor parameters or tuning, or missing internal circuity like braking. This is well documented and the terminals do not support the current ratings, and according to others that do VFD design the single phase models above 2.2kW need to be derated for single phase. There is some mumbo jumbo in the manuals as such, if you can read between the lines. The manuals are typically worthless, and often the parameters are very limited or obscure. There are some OK models, it may work for some, I have had more problems with them then success. I often get the questions of why is it not working or performing badly, I am sure there are just as many success stories of how well they worked. It is not that they are made in China, as many of the more mainstream brands are also made there, but I have had numerous problems in helping people that have used them. I do not have these problems with other more mainstream VFD's. In this case with someone unfamiliar with VFD's, the cost of the Teco L-510 is not significantly more expensive, they perform decently, they have a readable manual, they have a warranty and they have technical support. I think those factors are worth the nominal increase in cost and lack of dealing with headaches or not working well. To each their own.

I took pages and pages of your opinions to heart and chose accordingly. Ive learned to listen.

Back