Choosing between a PM 1236 and a PM 1340GT

All,

A few things worth mentioning...

Most models of Rong Fu are made in China now. For simple items like manual lathes, China can do a good job as long as you deal with the right factories.

Foot Brake: I have mine installed but, have never used it. I guess it's a good safety feature but for normal use, I don't find it useful.

The next batch of 1340GT is "scheduled" for November, 2014 but until we have tracking numbers, the exact date is not known. December or January is more likely.

Currently, a supply of 1440 E/LB machines is available.

In general, for hobby purposes and even for light industrial use, this class of machine will serve you well. It would be nice to combine the features of the 1236 and 1340GT into one machine but, as mentioned before, in this class of machine -and given the quantities involved, it's not likely the factories are going to modify the molds which have been around for the past 40+ years.

Ray

From looking at the webpage... the 1440E/LB look to be similar in many ways to the 1236... albeit larger and with a few differences. Nice machine. For my purposes, a 1.5" spindle bore would be adequate. And the price of a 1440E/LB would not really that much different than the 1340GT.

The more I study and research (here and other places), the more I am coming to appreciate the subtle qualities of a Taiwanese product. In one sense... a good alternative to a new Taiwanese machine might be a used American made machine and rebuild it. Lots of time and work... yet the end result might well be better quality than some Chinese machines... Still, a lot of work... and at the end of the day (well months :( ), may even spend more than a new one. Hmmm...

I kinda figured delivery of a 1340GT was gonna be out a ways... If they are 'scheduled' to arrive to QMT sometime in Nov... then by the time they 'do' arrive, are checked out by Matt (one of the good things about doing business with QMT), and one is shipped to me... Seems like a Christmas present is a reasonable expectation.
Actually this is not that bad a deal... as I really am not ready to set up the shop. Would hate to receive it now, need to un-crate it and check it out (which would require cleaning and setting up and testing)... only to have to move it and re-level it again. Sometimes the larger picture works out.

It appears there is a market for both the 1236 and the 1340GT... and to combine them would not be serving the market. Not a good idea IMO... :)

Still need to find a Taiwanese version of the RF 45 design (or a Taiwanese version of Matt's 932/PDF... :) ). That 'beefier' version noted in the pics is appealing.

I think you are reading my mind... :LOL:
I probably will order the 1340... just have to justify it in my mind first. From what I hear from RayC... they are sold out and the next available will be around Christmas or winter 2015...
Funny you speak of moving up from the 1127 to the 1236... I did the same thing in my mind. At first, I liked the 1127... then realized it was not large enough for what I need. I think the 1236 would handle the work, however as I read in a previous post... the 1340GT is really a well built lathe!
Now to find a Taiwanese version of the venerable RF45 clones. RayC tells me QMT may or may not stock and sell the 'test' version that was posted in this thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=24010
Shame, I really do not want to go to another company... however the lure of a Taiwanese quality machine is worth the $$$ to me.

I tend to be one that understands the subtleties of quality... and appreciates them. The heating and AC business I run caters to folks who are willing to pay for quality service, not cheap prices; yet understand value. Most of my customers are long term, and I am 100% referral.

THX for the offer; I might take you up on visiting your shop... One of the brands of heating and AC equipment I handle is from SC... the corporate office is in W Columbia, and the plant is in Orangeburg. The co name is Alliedair (www.alliedair.com), they are owned by Lennox.
Columbia is only a few hours away... and AC season is winding down.

BTW: My last name is Morgan... you have a good name... :)

I'm here in Columbia too. Maybe we could all meet up sometime...

Anyway, I was torn between the 1127 and the 1236 and ultimately ended up with the PM1236. I've had it for a couple months now, and I'm VERY happy with it. I had been "getting by" with a Micro-Mark 7x14, but it just wasn't cutting it (pun intended). I first learned on a 16" Clausing when I was in the Navy, and the little 7x is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Making things on the 7x became more like "work" than "fun" and just didn't enjoy it very much. The smoothness and power increase of the PM1236 has brought the fun back into it.

If you can afford the 1340, I would get it. Everything I've seen about it has been pretty positive. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 1236 though.

Still need to find a Taiwanese version of the RF 45 design (or a Taiwanese version of Matt's 932/PDF... :) ). That 'beefier' version noted in the pics is appealing.

Take a look at the Grizzly G0730 mill, its a baby Taiwan mill with a true knee. I have the Enco version and will never part with it even when its big brother arrives. You can do a lot on it and it doesn't take up all that much space.

I would get the 1340GT lathe if you can swing the money and wait time. Getting away from the mainland stuff is worth it if you plan to use the thing. I got lucky and adopted a near new MSC Taiwan lathe and its night and day smoother over the Enco Chinese lathe I had (both 13x40 sizes)

John,
It is kinda far, but if you are up Columbia, SC way, you are welcome to come by and have a look at my 1236. I started out with an order for the 1127, but decided to blow up my budget and get the 1236. It was a bit more than I really had to spend, but now I am glad I said to heck with it and did it anyway. If I had had the money and space I probably would have gone with the 1340, but it was just not possible. I think the 1236 is a very nice lathe for the money and am very happy with it....that being said,
Go ahead..get the 1340...you know you want it View attachment 83061

Morgan

I'm here in Columbia too. Maybe we could all meet up sometime...

Anyway, I was torn between the 1127 and the 1236 and ultimately ended up with the PM1236. I've had it for a couple months now, and I'm VERY happy with it. I had been "getting by" with a Micro-Mark 7x14, but it just wasn't cutting it (pun intended). I first learned on a 16" Clausing when I was in the Navy, and the little 7x is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Making things on the 7x became more like "work" than "fun" and just didn't enjoy it very much. The smoothness and power increase of the PM1236 has brought the fun back into it.

If you can afford the 1340, I would get it. Everything I've seen about it has been pretty positive. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 1236 though.

THX both Morgan and JayBob, I truly appreciate your willingness to share your experiences.

AC season is winding down, and heat season will not start up for a bit... maybe towards the latter part of Sept, we could plan a day. I will drive over; we can figure out what to do. THX again for offering.

Now does anyone reasonably close to Atlanta have a PM45 or a PM932? Would like to see them... even though I am still hunting a Taiwanese version. It is possible I may need to widen my expectations and go to a small knee mill (3/4 BP size?)... however I am not mentally there yet. :)

Back to the SC trip... I am booked all next week (week of 9/8), Calls, one install, and going to Nashville Wed/Thurs for an HVAC trade show.
Will PM you guys towards the end of next week. THX again, this sounds like fun!

Take a look at the Grizzly G0730 mill, its a baby Taiwan mill with a true knee. I have the Enco version and will never part with it even when its big brother arrives. You can do a lot on it and it doesn't take up all that much space.

I would get the 1340GT lathe if you can swing the money and wait time. Getting away from the mainland stuff is worth it if you plan to use the thing. I got lucky and adopted a near new MSC Taiwan lathe and its night and day smoother over the Enco Chinese lathe I had (both 13x40 sizes)

Wait time is not the end of the world... I really would like to only buy one each Lathe and Mill... rather than upgrade a few times... :)

Will have to go through the entire Grizzly line... Interesting idea they have with that 730... basically a baby knee mill.
I have started reading through the Bridgeport section... the idea of getting an old BP and rebuilding it sounds like fun... however a LOT of work. Not sure I want to invest the time. Kinda would rather have a new one, set it up and true it, and use it... :)

I picked my Enco mill up for a whopping $1000ish and it was basically new as the owner was given a Bridgeport shortly after he purchased it. I have seen 2 more for sale in the last couple years locally for the same price range, most people don't consider it because it looks like a drill press I believe. I would keep an eye out as they pop up every now and then. Never seen the Grizzly version though, only the Enco. Here is one that sold a couple years ago: http://auction.orbitbid.com/details.cfm?ID=1037087#photos

Right now I am going through the same thought process as the OP. Seems to be a valid argument for either choice it seems. I likely might choose to go conservative on the lathe expense especially after viewing what can be accomplished with the PM-1236 in this thread. That, or the G4003G which looks very nice.

One thing I noticed was how close the PM 1236 and a PM 1340GT are in weight. I found it interesting that the larger lathe only weighs 60lbs more.

Also the G4003G looks a like a smaller version of the 1340GT.

Any opinions on the... "Feed Rod Clutch, to allow Micro Carriage Stop
use with feed."

One thing I noticed was how close the PM 1236 and a PM 1340GT are in weight. I found it interesting that the larger lathe only weighs 60lbs more.
That is very typical. One key dimension to watch is "bed width". This class of machine are mostly 7 1/4" bed width.

These home shop 1236, 1340, 1440 class of machines just have headstock spaced slightly higher, possibly a different size spindle feedthrough. That really doesn't make them more capable, and probably even makes them LESS rigid.

You won't see a significant weight increase until you see a machine with something like a 9" bed width, and that step in size generally comes at a 2X cost.

PM does sell a Taiwanese machine called the 1440TS (and 1440TV), which has a 9" wide bed, and sells for $9000-10000. Well worth the extra $$$, if you can swing it.

Don't drool on your keyboard...and no, I don't have one of these. For better or worse, I went with a home-shop class of machine, and spent the money I save on a Tormach 1100. But if you have this kind of money to spend, than this (or the equivalent Eison or Victor) seem like a good choice:
PM-1440TS&VT.jpg

PM-1440TS&VT.jpg

Right now I am going through the same thought process as the OP. Seems to be a valid argument for either choice it seems. I likely might choose to go conservative on the lathe expense especially after viewing what can be accomplished with the PM-1236 in this thread. That, or the G4003G which looks very nice.

Also the G4003G looks a like a smaller version of the 1340GT.

Any opinions on the... "Feed Rod Clutch, to allow Micro Carriage Stop
use with feed."

The feed rod clutch is really just two springs and two balls/detents that drive and in case of carriage crash the balls will slip in the detents to prevent damage.

Personally I wouldn't run up against the carriage stop relying on the feed rod clutch. I installed and used the carriage stop once but I prefer to use a soft stop and use it quite frequently.

Back