Choosing my first set of drill bits...

Your ultimate goal is to avoid rubbing. Always take a chip. That means significant force while drilling. Start the hole by dimpling the steel with a center drill just enough to start the tip of the drill.

Lots of cutting oil.

I'm confident I could drill a lawnmower blade with a crap HF drill bit over and over using proper technique. Figure out your technique before buying good quality bits.

Look at CL or Norseman drill bits in 118 degrees with bright finish. You don't need a fancy finish sow don't pay for it. Proper sharpen drill point will make a hug difference.

Your ultimate goal is to avoid rubbing. Always take a chip. That means significant force while drilling. Start the hole by dimpling the steel with a center drill just enough to start the tip of the drill.

Lots of cutting oil.

I'm confident I could drill a lawnmower blade with a crap HF drill bit over and over using proper technique. Figure out your technique before buying good quality bits.
I don't have any cutting oil at this time, but I did try varying the force/feed rate after resharpening. I'll grant you I lack experience, so I can't say if it's down to technique or not.

If it helps, I was running 1/8th inch bits at 550rpm on a drill press at an unknown feedrate. I just pushed at what I thought was moderate pressure.
EDIT: When I say moderate pressure, I mean where it feels like you're getting somewhere, but not too quickly.
Sounds about right, you won't be able to push very hard on a 1/8" drill. Were you using cutting oil (not motor oil)?

I don't have any cutting oil at this time, but I did try varying the force/feed rate after resharpening. I'll grant you I lack experience, so I can't say if it's down to technique or not.
Go to the big box hardware store and get a pint of dark thread cutting oil (probably Rigid or Oatey brand). You're going to need it. It will be in the plumbing dept. Shouldn't be more than $8.

Go to your local hardware and buy Oateys cutting oil. I like the dark but the clear works fine too.

I can promise you it's technique. If you follow my instruction it will help. Also, clamp your piece if at all possible.

I can't say you sharpened your drill bits correctly so try with a new bit. No rubbing. Spotting with a center drill will avoid walking. Heavy feed.

In addition to MrWhoopies comment, if you do heat the steel up, be sure to let it cool slowly. If you cool it quickly in water, you will reharden it.

As far as a good brand of drill bits, that can be a challenge. Anything you find at the box stores, probably will be fair to Ok for most things. Cost will probably be the best way to tell. The more it cost, the better it probably will be.

Semi on topic, I bought a set of 13 bits, 1/16” to 1/4” for about $90 couple years ago. I had serious butt hurt doing it, but they have worked out fairly well. They were from the Matco tool truck. Called Hyperstep drill bits. They are offering them in more sizes today and colbalt too, I think.

A 29 piece set runs $350-400+.

1/4” and under is not warranted. Anything bigger than 1/4” is lifetime warranted for dulling, breakage, etc.

I just had a job where I had to drill 140 holes, 1.75” deep for 7/16-14 tap holes. I ordered 2 23/64” hyperstep bits, just in case first one broke/ dulled halfway thru. They were $29 each. And then I gave the job to young 20 year old apprentice in shop. He was to use tap magic as a lubricant. About halfway thru, I heard the telltale squeak, and he had locked the bit up in a hole.

I came over and almost burned my hand on the workpiece, it was so warm. I got the drill bit backed out and then drilled the next hole. I instructed him to use more lubricant, and push a bit harder so the chips are bigger and come out of the hole. He finished the rest of the 140 holes on that same 1st bit. The tip was a bit discolored, but still sharp and cutting well.

So at my shop, we are going to take the approach of ordering one of these bits as jobs come up that warrants the cost. Probably if they continue to perform like this, I will probably be able to talk boss into a full set, but it will be only used by certain guys in the shop.

As far as my own personal set, when ever I have used it, it has performed well. The multi steps are especially easier in hand drilling.

Maybe one of these days I might actually spring for a full set myself, when I find some extra cash to invest in my home shop.

View attachment 471574

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0270281eba18ae3b3807de5b19753d08.png

Last edited:
@toprecyler , Your attachment cannot be accessed by me. The forum says I do not have permission. I'm not sure what's going on so I thought I'd mention it.

Second the suggestion on cobalt drills. That's all I buy now.

Back