Choosing Scales

Jim, that quill scale looks very compact compared to a glass scale. Where did you get it?

That particular one is a Renishaw LM-10 from an Ebay vendor. Those are no longer available. Currently I have been buying a Chinese clone of those from Ditron. The reader head is a DMR200, about $90 each. Various resolutions available. The magnetic tape P/N is MS200, about $25/meter. sales@dcoee.com

I just bought a couple meters of the magnetic strip, $82 including Fedex shipping. I haven't purchased a read head for a couple years so that price is old. They have upgraded the read heads with some wipers, so I'll be buying a few of those for my next projects.

The output from the read head is standard differential quadrature. They also have readouts in various configurations.

That particular one is a Renishaw LM-10 from an Ebay vendor. Those are no longer available. Currently I have been buying a Chinese clone of those from Ditron. The reader head is a DMR200, about $90 each. Various resolutions available. The magnetic tape P/N is MS200, about $25/meter. sales@dcoee.com

I just bought a couple meters of the magnetic strip, $82 including Fedex shipping. I haven't purchased a read head for a couple years so that price is old. They have upgraded the read heads with some wipers, so I'll be buying a few of those for my next projects.

The output from the read head is standard differential quadrature. They also have readouts in various configurations.

Is the adhesive on the tape good? Or are you using additional adhesive?

The adhesive is good, as near as I can tell it's a 3M product. I bought the new tape to replace my mill X axis tape that has been continuously soaked in kerosene, WD-40, other coolants, and way oil for 5 years. It's starting to come loose on one end, where I spilled some MEK about a year or so ago. I have no shielding on the scale.

Thx for the reply Jim. I like the direct tape to the surface without the aluminum extrusion carrier most are selling. Makes a cleaner install and less areas that accumulate chips. Five years under heavy use is a great track record. I guess I could also buy the scale package with the tape in the extrusions and just slide out the tape. Then I would have to find a 3M adhesive. I'll see what Ditron pricing is. ~ John

How are these different than the capacitive scales? can they be easily cut to length?

How are these different than the capacitive scales? can they be easily cut to length?

The operating principle is completely different. The sensor picks up the evenly spaced magnetic zones on the strip, normally spaced at 2mm. The read head interpolates the position as 2 sine waves and the electronics in the read head converts this to a pulse output. They come in resolutions to 0.1 micron. They are coolant immune, and would work just fine even under water. Many of the capacitive scales get confused by any contaminants.

Very easy to cut to length. Good, sharp tin snips work fine.

Back