Christmas in July

Wow Jay nice stand, that is the exact stand I envisioned for mine when it arrives!

Ray, I might have to try that idea and see where it gets me.:thinking:

Thanks

Probably will get you a black eye if he sets it down where you want and you don't fork-over the green you flashed. :).

Ray

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgYesterday I picked up the chip pan that the local Sheetmetal place fabricated. Attached it with a few aluminum angles and some sealant. So with that finished it was time to put the mill on the stand. After a few careful rigging options ,up it went. I had to stretch my 2 ton crane all the way out to the half ton Mark to get the machine over the stand enough to set it down. I normally don't do things in that manner, I always like that built in safety margin. Well, you can tell by the photos that it worked. Even the dog likes his new napping spot. Everyone seems to be a winner today. Jay

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mike ,
the original pan design was out of stainless and somewhat different . The boys at the Sheetmetal shop came up with this much simpler design and I'm happy how it turned out. They were all about keeping it simple. I guess you can't beat a man at his trade. Jay

The mill looks great Jay and I love your dog. I have a German shepherd as well, at least you know shop security will not be a problem.

Plinker,
Ol Velcro dog spend so much time in the shop with me, I was thinking about teaching him how to run some of the machines. I feel if he had opposable thumbs, he would be voted most likely to take over the world. GSD owners know what I mean. There are still number of things I need to do to the machine before it starts making chips. I have an electrician coming next week to run the power, and that leaves me some time to clean off some of that nasty grease. Once I get it a little more cleaned up then I'm going to check the tram. It will be ready to work soon. Jay

Plinker,
Ol Velcro dog spend so much time in the shop with me, I was thinking about teaching him how to run some of the machines. I feel if he had opposable thumbs, he would be voted most likely to take over the world. GSD owners know what I mean. There are still number of things I need to do to the machine before it starts making chips. I have an electrician coming next week to run the power, and that leaves me some time to clean off some of that nasty grease. Once I get it a little more cleaned up then I'm going to check the tram. It will be ready to work soon. Jay

There are quite a few threads here on how to check tram on these units. I really like the method of using a large diameter bearing race.

FWIW, my original PM45 is 5+ years old and the column tram is still well within 1/2 thou. -That's got to be some kind of record.

Ray

Ray,
i did see that thread about using a bearing race. Not a bad idea, gonna give it a try. Jay

Imagine how much better the pictures would look with a Lab.

As an attorney, I have a better suggestion. Wear a T-shirt that says "Disabled Veteran." Put a harness on your dog, wear sunglasses and pretend you are blind. Tell the delivery guy you are accepting delivery for your brother-in-law. Hold a $5 bill in your hand. When the delivery is complete, hand the deliver guy the bill and say "Here is $100 for your trouble."

I hereby disclaim all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Reading this post could cause high blood pressure, stroke, incontinence.

Back