Christmas lights... fighting a losing battle

It's a conspiracy I tell ya.... I have thrown away so many strings of lights, because I couldn't get them working.

Tim

This is a non-contact voltage tester. The whole tree is positive, the metal in the tree gets the flux current.
see video... even branches that contain no lights. So that tool won't work Doug... it will work on a string. not on a metal tree with an integral light set. Also these are not a normal string.20211207_120306.jpg
BTW my dog's barking at the garbage men.. Good dog.
View attachment 20211207_125449.mp4

Well , alls I can say is .....................................if my VFD hookup goes as well as these Christmas lights conundrum , you're all in for some huge laughs in the future . :rolleyes:

Wow , just got in from the neighborhood nursery . 6 ft. balled Blue Spruce is going for $380 . :eek:

as the title says.. I feel beaten... I've had an area of the tree (fake) that doesn't light. I have replaced every bulb in the string, and still could not get it to light, now I have another section of the tree, that was lit last year, and is not lit. I figured it has to be one bulb that's loose, but I can't find it. about 60-70 bulbs on the top... I have a few bulbs from the bottom that light, so they should help locate the dead bulb(s) up top... but the tree is winning. Barb wanted to go out and get a new tree, so we went out and she doesn't like anything we've seen.

So any of you have a secret ... ... I wonder if my power sensor will pick it up... you know the type you hold near an outlet to see if its powered...
looking for opinions while I go try that idea.
I've used those voltage detectors with moderate success on my tree, but it is not a sure thing.

Wow $380 bucks... I don't think so!

We paid $70 for this one. And I thought that was a lot. It's not the best photo but there it is in all its glory. And I only threw away 2 strings of lights. LOL

20211207_163503_copy_1165x1703.jpg

We paid $70 for this one. And I thought that was a lot. It's not the best photo but there it is in all its glory. And I only threw away 2 strings of lights. LOL

View attachment 387940
What a great idea, put the lights on and decorate before cutting it down to be sure you like it!

20211207_163503_copy_1165x1703.jpg
Beautiful tree there . I settled on a Blue Spruce for $140 and have to pick it up now . Probably close to 300 lbs with the root ball . Another adventure in the making I'm sure ! :rolleyes: What erks me , I have 45 acres of trees 368 miles north of me and can't get up there . :cussing:

Back