Chuck back plate for Enco 110 lathe

grhm

Registered
Registered
I have an Enco 110 (but not like all the other Enco 110 lathes), and I'm wondering if there's any way to make an educated guess on the spindle and back plate. I took the chuck off, and the shoulder on the back plate is very close to 130mm; I couldn't really tell about the spindle, but it looks like it could be threaded?

I was under the understanding that threaded back plates aren't common and/or recommended in lathes that run in reverse (and this one does), but does that simply mean I'm not supposed to CUT in reverse, or...?

IMG_20211120_160217.jpgIMG_20211120_160223.jpg

It is possible to cut in reverse if the chuck is on tight, I have done it many times, just take light cuts, there was a recent post where a guy was suggesting using a drawbar to hold the chuck on when using reverse rotation. I saw and worked on a lathe with threaded spindle where the chuck backplate was threaded on the OD of it's hub and had a LH ID threaded collar looking like that of an type L spindle; when tightened it prevented the chuck from unscrewing when cutting in reverse or using reverse to stop the lathe quickly, the lathe was made in India, the name Mysore Kirloskar.

Many lathes with threaded spindles have reversing motors. As John said, light cutting in reverse is possible if one is careful.
The ability to reverse comes in handy for cutting metric threads where the carriage must be repeatedly backed up to the starting point keeping
the half-nuts engaged. In that instance there is little danger of the chuck coming loose.
-Mark

So, on a lathe like this, how do I remove the backplate?

Back