Chuck Cart?

sdelivery

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to build a cart for under my lathe that holds 3 chucks and a face plate.
I could spend all kinds of time designing and revising OR I could tap into your experience and ask you to show me what you have built.
I will then totally copy one of your designs and be done wham bam thank you mam....
I have a 16 x 72 SB lathe so there is space under the chip pan for a rolling cart.
Please help me out, show me your designs for this problem

Chucks for that size of lathe can be heavy, I have a larger (19" swing Regal lathe) Instead of doing a rolling cart as you suggest, I located my larger (heavier) chucks and faceplates to the left of the headstock on the floor supported by wooden cradles, and kept the smaller and lighter items under the chip pan. For the heavier spindle tooling, I installed a overhead track made for a sliding barn door with an electric hoist from HF, it makes for painless chuck changes and workpiece handling.

I have a 16" Sebastian, so I feel your pain. The faceplate and 8" 3jaw aren't so bad. But, I hate even looking at the 10" four jaw when it's not on the spindle. I want to keep it on the top of my rolling table, because I don't want to bend over to pick it up. I've been thinking that some sort of rotating mechanism would bring the chucks up to height. Once I took the chuck off the top, the weight of the others would keep them down. When I put the chuck back on, they'd balance and be able to rotate the other ones up.

This was my solution to chuck lifting and storage. This cart has quite a few 6” chucks which don’t require lifting with a hoist but are there for storage and ballast. The swing out arm which is under the cart holds a couple of 8” and 10” chucks.

The lifting arm is made of 2” schedule 40 pipe attached to an axel hub and spindle with taper roller bearings so it moves easily. The lifting is done by a small Harbor Freight come-along which has a 500 lb. capacity. It also lifts and freewheels quickly.

I store multi-fix and Aloris tool holders inside the cart which also adds weight.

The large chuck you see lifted at a distance is a 15” 4-jaw which weighs in at around 175 lbs. Two important features of this cart are the elbow and roller bearings in the elbow. This makes removing and installing heavy chucks simple as there are no alignment issues.

I added a wood top to the chuck cart which allows me to set a chuck on it for transport as I have some other large 10” and 12” steel chuck which are not kept on this cart but are lifted by it.

I also included a couple pictures of my chuck dolly which is just some 1” pipe, a couple of ½” x 2” flat bars for the ends and then a short chain and turn buckle for holding them on the cart. The large face plate on the back of this cart is 17" to provide some scale.

This arrangement pretty well for me as the cart is small enough to go in between and around machines anywhere in the shop. But your situation may be different.

IMG_0604.jpg IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0609.jpg IMG_1380.jpg IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0642.jpg

For the present I need to store them under the chip pan. I am even thinking of putting my TPG under there, it's in the factory metal box so it's protected... two rolling carts...one for the TPG box and a box of wheels and the second for the chucks.

I love the chuck cart. Maybe in the future but for now something closer to the black metal cart is where I probably will land.
It is definitely food for thought.
Thank You

I like the Idea of a wood cart, what size casters are you using?
Can You post more photos please
Those are just small Harbor Freight mover's dollies. I have a 14" and a 12" on one, and a a pair of 10" on the other. They cradle a pair of chucks like they were made for it. I just roll them out to change chucks, and roll them back out of the way like that. I have no reason to do anything more. Time saved building is spent doing other work, which sounds like what you're after. I can still lift the 14" Bison without much grunt as long as it's a straight shot, which this solution allows. I think they were $16 each on sale. Praktisch, as the Germans say.

Those are just small Harbor Freight mover's dollies. I have a 14" and a 12" on one, and a a pair of 10" on the other. They cradle a pair of chucks like they were made for it. I just roll them out to change chucks, and roll them back out of the way like that. I have no reason to do anything more. Time saved building is spent doing other work, which sounds like what you're after. I can still lift the 14" Bison without much grunt as long as it's a straight shot, which this solution allows. I think they were $16 each on sale. Praktisch, as the Germans say.
Yep ,Sounds like a winner. Thank you

Back