Chuck for rotary table

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't want to hijack the angle table thread anymore, so I'm asking here. This is the 2nd, or third time the 8" RT has been out of the box. For this size RT on a 9 x 31 mill table, what size 3 jaw chuck would be good? There is an mt-3 taper center hole.

Those who have 3 or 6 slots on their RT can use front mount chucks & use a chuck that's the same size as the RT & bolt directly to it.

I have an 8" with 4 slots just like you. I went with a 6.3" chuck & made an 8" backplate plate for it to bolt to the RT.

proxy-1.jpg

With that same backplate I can mount the chuck on my mill table which is also useful for me.

20180913_230243.jpg

Forgot to add, some 4-jaw front mount chucks have 4 holes. So you can use these to bolt directly to the table. Me personally I went with a scroll chuck cause it's quicker to setup. Runout on the chuck don't matter cause you can just dial it in when bolting to the table.

Ah Will, stop it with the 6-jaws chucks already, will ya? :grin:
Makes me sad. Anyone ever kick themselves for selling something you should have hung onto?
I had bought a 6" 6-Jaw Bison for my Logan 210 way back when, before I understood physics and before I owned the 1440.
Way too big for the Logan and on a 1-1/2"-8 threaded spindle was just not a good idea.
Had Honey sell it on eBay. They were going for a good buck at the time, that is until I listed mine. :(
It was just sitting and gathering dust. In hindsight I should have mounted it to the RoTab. :concerned: :concerned:
I'd like to have it now on the 1440, that's for sure.
(did I mention it was a 'SetTru'?)
Those who have 3 or 6 slots on their RT can use front mount chucks & use a chuck that's the same size as the RT & bolt directly to it.

I have an 8" with 4 slots just like you. I went with a 6.3" chuck & made an 8" backplate plate for it to bolt to the RT.

View attachment 313706

With that same backplate I can mount the chuck on my mill table which is also useful for me.

View attachment 313707

Ah Will, stop it with the 6-jaws chucks already, will ya? :grin:
Makes me sad. Anyone ever kick themselves for selling something you should have hung onto?
I had bought a 6" 6-Jaw Bison for my Logan 210 way back when, before I understood physics and before I owned the 1440.
Way too big for the Logan and on a 1-1/2"-8 threaded spindle was just not a good idea.
Had Honey sell it on eBay. They were going for a good buck at the time, that is until I listed mine. :(
It was just sitting and gathering dust. In hindsight I should have mounted it to the RoTab. :concerned: :concerned:
I'd like to have it now on the 1440, that's for sure.
(did I mention it was a 'SetTru'?)

Haha! 6" Bison 6-jaw Set-Tru is what I use on my lathe now. That 6-jaw on my rotab is just a plain back China chuck but more than good enough for that purpose. I certainly didn't need a 6-jaw for the rotab but I find 6-jaws make it easier to chuck up short machined parts parallel to the axis but of course there's tricks for that too.

I know what you mean. I had a 5" Bison 6-jaw Set-Tru on my old mini lathe. It's the bottom chuck in my avatar. I sold that 5" 6-jaw which I regret even though I have no need for it now. 5" Bison 6-jaws are rare to find used. I was luckily & found it on ebay.

They have their advantages & disadvantages. I don't need the advantages so much anymore these days but they sure are sexy though. Can you tell I love 6-jaws? ;)

While I'm looking things over, there is an oil fill, and a sight glass, what oil goes in the table?

Chucks ? We all like chucks ! :grin: 3 jaw ?

Oh your awake....What ya got to make my life easier?

Got a 6 inch 3 jaw and a 6 inch 4 jaw scroll chuck lying around in the basement . 4 jaw is a Bison , not sure what the 3 jaw is .

Yep , I'm awake . :big grin: Last night of an 11 day/night run . I have more OT hours than straight hours this week . That's good for paying bills , but it sure puts me in a crappy mood .11 hours to go to :party:

Thank you for supporting my Social Insecurity :encourage:
PM me what we're going to do.

Back