Chuck Key Contest

Which one will fly the farthest? Might be obvious but ya never know until you try! :D

You go ahead and give it a try. I'll watch ...... from a distance.

As for using a tailstock center, Real Men Don't Need No Stinkin Tailstock. They hold the center in their right hand, and push the start button with their left. Here Hold My Beer and Watch This.

I can't imagine all those chucks are for that lathe. But then again the wall looks too clean to be a shop. And if it was a shop I'd like to see the look on the Boss's face if he saw that.

When some on the net posts a pic of a chuck with the key sitting it in, for sure there will always be at least one person who comments about it. Yet this guy's post not a single one. Lol.

The ones not at the cross slide will fall on the ground the one at the cross slide will jam the machine when it is started. :rolleyes:

Honestly I doubt any of them would go flying far even if they were clocked 20 degrees more back. Too much mass to spin up quickly. I certainly don't want to find out. I'll wait for Dave to do that! :D

Heck even if there were no keys at all, I'd still be scared to turn that spindle on!

Hmm.. looking at it again, I am not sure, but they do seem to have the centers lined up.
My next thought is, that is a serious load bending on the spindle bearing (no tailstock support)!
Come to that, even the jaws of the first big chuck might not ever adjust sweetly again - unless I misunderstand, and they are all just propped up in a row.

Hmm.. looking at it again, I am not sure, but they do seem to have the centers lined up.
My next thought is, that is a serious load bending on the spindle bearing (no tailstock support)!
Come to that, even the jaws of the first big chuck might not ever adjust sweetly again - unless I misunderstand, and they are all just propped up in a row.
I’m guessing that they’re all mounted on one long rod which was supported manually as each chuck was slid onto the rod. The one on the end that's holding the drill chuck appears to be resting on the cross slide, relieving pressure on the spindle bearings. But, we may be overthinking it. ;)

Tom

Back